Queen cells

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JosephCarboni, Apr 24, 2015.

1. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Ok i install 2 packages of bees an a queen two weeks ago I have been feeding sugar water. I pulled the frames today to check an found no capped brood in neither hive but in one of them I found 12 queen cells can anyone tell me what this means

2. Ray

Ray Member

Are they Queen Cells or Cups? Do they have larva in them? Are they scattered around or are they clumped together on the bottom of the frames?
    Do you have any worker brood at all? Do you hae any drone brood?
    ‚ÄčIMO it's way to early for packages to be swarming.

3. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Sounds like maybe the one hive may have rejected your new queen. And thus are creating their own. Was there uncapped brood?

4. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

They are clumped up on two frames there are no brood in either hive

5. Ray

Ray Member

Are there eggs, one single egg standing upright in each cell? This will tell you if you have queen laying in that hive.
    Emergency queen cells are located ANYWHERE the bees can find a larva the right age. swarm cells are generally located near the bottom of the frames. Desperate bees WILL build queen cells around DRONE larva, it does do any good but that's that. I've never seen clumped queen cells that weren't queen cells, but bees will fool you. Call your package supplier and tell them what you've got!

6. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

These are the photos of the two frames that has the cells

Attached Files:

7. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

They are larger than the picture looks like

8. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Oh yea the only capped anything in either hives are the top of the comb sorry this is my first time bee keeping don't look like I'm doing a good job

9. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

An also I haven't seen any eggs or larva looks to me like all the comb on each Fram has nothing but syrup or honey in them it's clear liquid

10. Ray

Ray Member

I can't get a good look at the pictures, but it looks like capped brood across the top of the frame of the left hand picture. The queen cells look like EMERGENCY cells to me. IMO you need some queens and / or some frames of eggs from somewhere.

You need to get a hold of your package supplier, some of them will replace bad queens, some won't.

11. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Thanks Ray for your advice a Comercial bee keeper I spoke with down the road said to put one of the frames with queen cells in one hive an leave one in place an let nature take is course seeing how there already getting close to hatch. Do you think this is a good idea. I have been trying to get in touch with the association I'm in they ordered everyone packages

12. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

But can't seem to talk to anyone for what ever reason

13. camero7

camero7 Member

I agree with Ray that it looks like capped brood in the first photo. I would not split the frames up, you have almost below a critical mass of bees as it is. Keep the feed on them and see if you can't buy a frame of eggs/larvae somewhere. Since you don't indicate your location I can't tell what you weather conditions are and whether or not you'll have flying drones. There aren't any here yet. If you're in the north you need a mated queen to salvage this hive. Keep bugging you package supplier.

14. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

K thanks I'm in walker louisiana I can't figure out how to put my location on my profile

15. camero7

camero7 Member

Took a closer look at the frames in the photos. I think there is capped brood on both frames which means that the queen cells are viable. You have plenty of drones in your location so there is a good chance that the hive will produce a mated queen, not guaranteed. I think you probably lost the queen somehow. Don't mess with the hive much, those queen cells can be damaged and once the virgin hatches she will do better getting mated and laying without beekeeper interference. When I put cells in a hive I never open it again for 2 weeks minimum. You will need to put feed on but I would refrain from pulling frames.

16. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Ok thanks alot I do have plenty of drones in each hive if that matters. Don't know what happened to her she didn't go out the bottom the association I'm in said to put a queen excluder in between the super an the bottom board an I did that so I don't know lost of variables

17. camero7

camero7 Member

Be sure to pull that queen excluder. You have drones trapped in the hive. They will die there and can't do any good in the hive. Queens often disappear and sometimes the most careful exam can't find the dead queen.

18. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

I did pull the excluder day before yesterday on the ten frames there are at least 3 frames covered with bees on both sides then at night there are a pill of them outside the hive this is the same for both hives I kinda thought that was a good supply of bees but what do I know I'm only 3 weeks into this

19. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

All the studying an preparing an I still was prepared

20. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I agree with those who think they are seeing capped brood. If you can't produce a frame of eggs, I would close it up and wait a week before bothering them again.