Queen cells

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Opened my boxes today. Hive #1 I found what looked like a queen cell that had the end popped off of it, and the bees were giving a lot of attention to that little opening. I looked and looked for a queen on that frame and never did see one. I am very sure that I heard a queen piping twice though. The next frame I pulled up, had 34 queen cells on it. Some were capped and some were not. Some had little larva floating in royal jelly.

Any idea what the heck is going on?

I don't have time to do much to it for a couple of days. My mothers funeral is tomorrow and I will be attending that. We have tons of company and it might even be the weekend before I can get back in them. The earliest would be Thursday evening, and I am afraid that will be to late. Any advice?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Unless you want to make splits, leaving it alone is likely your best choice.

3. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I would love to make splits, but isn't this the wrong time of year for splits?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

34 queen cells? in my almost 50 years of beekeeping ive never seen that many in one hive and especially not on one frame?? Sounds like you've got a super swarm coming up. My condolences to you on the loss of your Mother, my heart goes out to you. Jack

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Condolences here too...not looking forward to that day myself. The bees will be fine as they always have without man...smiles your way...

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm thinking beeboy may be mistaking drone cells for queen cells. In my measly 35years, I've never seen that many either. Nor even half that many.

7. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

It's been 6 weeks since I discovered 25 queen cells on one frame- 10 on one side and 15 on the other. I posted a pic on the thread "25 queen cells". I had pulled the frame from a hive that had a queen who layed clear to the edge of the frame and I figured it was getting pretty late in the season and they wanted to make sure they got a queen. I've been checking every couple of weeks and today saw a really dark queen-kinda small-but laying an excellent pattern. There are still drones in the 3 hives at that location but I was kinda worried it was too late for a new queen to get properly mated.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The workers must of seen something wrong with the queen?? If i had pulled that frame with 25 queen cells and the queen was laying full frames, i would of thought about putting the old queen in a nuc and try to bring her through the winter to raise queens out of. Looks like you got lucky with a new queen this late in the year. Jack

9. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

No,no-I didn't make myself clear! The frame was taken from the super-queen's hive to add to a hive that went suddenly queenless. I was worried it was too late to raise a queen but they did and she's laying like crazy just like her Momma.

10. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

drones float in royal jelly?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

ALL larva float in RJ. Drone cells are horizontal. Queen cells are vertical.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a beeboy snip..
    Hive #1 I found what looked like a queen cell that had the end popped off of it

tecumseh...
    this suggest you have a virgin on board and you would be wise to follow Iddee suggestion in post #2 (I myself would have put 'leave it alone' in capital letters). at the time of the inspection you could have removed some of the cells for use somewhere else but at this time you would be better advised to leave well enough along. I would suspect/guess that the hive was well populated and either on a flow or being fed????

this represents a good test of how late you can get a queen mated at your location <do let us know how that works out. it is a bit late but if you still have an active drone population your chances are still quite good. the down side (if there is any) is that often times late mated queens don't produce for very long (often failing before they are one year old).

13. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Hmmm, excellent stuff! That's why I love ths board.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Beeboy, my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother. Your loss of her is greater than any hive loss. Forget the hive for the meanwhile, let the bees do their own thing---they'll manage.
    You should give your full attention now to matters of the family and attending to everything that needs to be taken care of relative to your mother's passing. When I was in your position almost a year ago, I didn't even open the forum for a week.
    May the blessings of time heal your pain.