Queen Cups

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Rebaxte, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Rebaxte

Rebaxte New Member

During my inspection yesterday I found 2 queen cups on different frames. One had jelly and a hatched larva. The other I couldn't see in. I don't think they are swarm cells. My question if they cap them should I pull the frames and make some splits? I only have one hive right now. I have a package on the way in two weeks as well as a local queen coming next week. Not sure what to do. Seems a shame to squish a perfectly good queen cell. Btw queen lays like a champ. Fills the whole frame.

2. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

I'm new at beekeeping so I couldn't give u the right answer but may if you read on the answers I have been getting the topic is queen cells . An have gotten some good advice

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Sounds like supercedure cells to me. for some reason the bees want to replace the queen. I'm south of you and I'm not seeing walking drones yet. So I would squish them and delay supercedure for a while.

4. Ray

Ray Member

I've always tried to increase my yard. If you have the resources to split off a nuc...... go for it! If your queen is doing a good enough job and you don't have the enough stuff to make a nuc, now is the time to remove the cup. There is a good chance that the bees will start another one later anyway.