Queen cups

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, May 27, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I finally got a day off work and went into my hives this morning and all looks good but I found one queen cup. Do the bees just build these just in case or do they have intentions I should be aware of? Both of my hives were packages installed on April 17th. I have seen both queens on other inspections but not today because it was early morning and the populations are up and everyone was home. The queens are finally moving into the center frames of the boxes after persisting on laying in the outermost frames. I did a little switcheroo on some brood frames toward center and the problem seems to be going away. There is a lot of capped brood with full patterns and tons of pollen so it looks like I am off to a good bee year so far:razz: I also noticed they have one deep frame almost full from top to bottom with nothing but pollen. I thought they stored pollen above the brood but there is so much around that I guess they are taking advantage and loading up? I couldn't find anything other than one queen cup to worry me. Both queens seem to be doing a good job so I can't imagine the bees in the hive with the cup wanting to replace her but I have been wrong about bees before:wink:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, they will build them just for practice.

""I did a little switcheroo on some brood frames toward center and the problem seems to be going away.""

What makes you think it was a problem in the beginning?

That solid frame of pollen will act as a wall for the queen. She will not cross it to lay in the next frame. Move it out past the brood nest or it will be a problem.

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Iddee...the queens laying off of center was considered more of a nuisance than a problem to me. I guess the queens just decided it was better to lay in the frames with the most stores. These were frames from last years hive that didn't winter. I thought I placed them right but the queens had their own ideas. The frames of pollen were next to last on the outside of the boxes and the outer frames are all honey so both my queens are laying where I want them to now.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect a new queen placed into a hive body starts to lay somewhere of 'the bees' collective agreement. For some reason beekeepers think they should start from the middle... I don't know where beekeepers derive this silly idea???

solid frames of pollen I ALWAYS move to the outside edges of the box. eventually it does get utilized. it will do (in the short run) exactly as Iddee describes.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

That is part the reason for double brood chambers, to ensure the queen will have space to lay eggs, and that workers will also have a place to store pollen and honey close to where the larvae will be The pattern of food storage in a brood chamber can be baffling, thats why re-arrainging the frames atleast makes us feel better about what we are seeing lol
    Barry