queen in super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by gloriousolive, Apr 23, 2011.

1. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

Can anyone give me some advice please?
    I have got a brood and a half on my hive, and when the weather started to warm up a couple of weeks ago I decided to change from a brood an a half to a double brood to give more room.
    I checked all the frames in the half brood, couldnt see the queen and so i put the new brood on with queen excluder on top, the half brood went on top of that.
    Having checked them again today I discover that the queen is still in the half super, and the new brood frames where I expected to see lots of eggs etc are now filling up with honey and about half a frame of brood so I have now ended up with two and a half brood.
    Can anyone advise on what I should now do? ( instead of panicking, which is what I am doing now!)

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would locate the queen and put her below (in the deeps), put on your excluder and then the half with brood. Put another half on top of that for room. When the brood emerges in the half directly above the excluder the bees will backfill that with honey.
    Put any deep frames with honey (below the excluder) in positions closest to the walls of the boxes.
    Only my two cents worth, there may be better ideas.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If i understand you right, you want to have two deeps for brood and the med. super for honey and remove the queen from it. Take the two deeps and put them together,Take an empty (deep or med. super) and place on top, take each frame out of the med. super that has bees on them and shake off on top of the frames of the brood boxes, i would look at each frame for the queen, (and if found brush her off easy on top of the frames with my finger) If not just shake every frame of bees off on top of brood boxes. Place the queen excluder on top of brood boxes, set the med. super back on top of brood boxes and replace the frames. The queen is then in the two deep brood boxes under the excluder. You should do this on a warm day and keep the frames that you shook out of the sun in another super until you are ready to put them back on the hive. Hope this helps. Jack

4. rast

rast New Member

Well, first the only time panicking seems to help is when you have half a dozen bees inside your pants leg, past your knee and still heading north. Your bees aren't gonna die from this.
    Without knowing how much, if any, extra boxes you have there are several manipulations you could do. I am also assuming you just missed seeing the queen in the half box. I am also assuming you wanted only honey in the half box. The easiest would be to swap the top two boxes leaving the excluder on the top of the half box.
    You could physically catch the queen and put her under the excluder with the boxes as is.
    If you have any extra brood boxes with drawn comb or frames of foundation, just swap the honey filled frames with them and put the box on top of the half box with the excluder beneath.
    I'm sure others will have additional ideas, but please don't panic. It's gonna be OK.

5. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

Thanks everyone for the sensible advice - if I had been thinking straight I would have realised that shaking the bees into the brood box was the right thing to do, at least I have learned something here, and I am going back outside now to do this.