Queen installation question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Noronajo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

My 3 queens shipped Monday and the weather is not cooperating( go figure, it's Oklahoma). If they arrive tomorrow, Wednesday, the high is 44 degrees with 36 that nite. Thursday's high 55 degrees with 30 that nite, then Friday's high 60 and 31 at nite. I intended to use 2 queens for splits and requeen one hive but can I do that if it gets that darn cold at nite and if not, how can I safely keep them for 2-3 days? They were supposed to arrive after April 22 but they moved the shipping date up.

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

A newbee buddy of mine was going to re-queen a hive last year and chickened out. I told him if he wasn't going to use her to bring her to me. I had picked her up for him on a Tuesday. He had her for one day and brought her back to me on Thursday. I kept her on my kitchen counter until Saturday when I had time to do the split. I just put a drop or two of water on the screen of her queen cage a couple of times per day. She went gang busters when I did the split. That hive has swarmed on me three times already this Spring.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep her in a room temp area in the dark. ""Cover with a cloth or something" Give her a drop of water daily and she will last until the candy runs out or the attendants die.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

noronajo,
    what iddee and andy said, but what iddee said about room temp, and cover, don't forget the water like both.....up here we get all sorts of goofball weather and delays, good luck!......

5. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Thanks for the quick replies- you guys have never failed me yet. I think I can go to sleep now and not worry about installing queens when it's too cold. It'll be much warmer this weekend.

6. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Thanks, riverbee- that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

noranajo....
    your welcome but i didn't say much, just add to the encouragement of what iddee and andy said, i have been in your shoes and no doubt iddee has as well.....you post back and give us an update! helps others out too. :grin:

8. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Queens arrived this morning- gave them a drop of water, covered loosely and put in a quiet spot. There are 4-5 attendants in each cage, very actively grooming the queen. It's storming outside and temps are falling so we will patiently( okay, not really that patient) wait 'til a better day.