Queen installer. What ya think?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by alleyyooper, Aug 3, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I got a flyer from Brushy Mountian bee supply a few days ago. They had what they call a requeening cage on sale.

[​IMG]

Here is their catalog write up on it.

This is the best requeening cage we have ever seen. a wooden queen cage fits into the frame and she is released by the attendants into a large screened area. The colony tends to her until they have accepted her and you are ready to release her. Pull the plug and let her walk out. You should remove much of the candy to ensure she escapes from the queen cage. If your cage is a little loose in the frame, secure it with a little wax to make sure it doesn't fall out. In the flyer they claim it is an exellent way to requeen a laying worker colony.So that is my question what you think as a requeening device for a laying worker colony??

:mrgreen: Al

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am sure there would have to be some attendants in there with her also, right??.

My question would be, could the queenless colony turn the attendants against the new queen?

I had made something very similar years ago, even had a wooden dowel on the outside that would open a trap door to release the queen. Never used it though, will dig it out and take a pic.

3. beehandler

beehandler New Member

it works well. the only downside is ,the bees will build comb under it.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I used one on a laying worker hive. They accepted the new queen about a week later and I let her out and she was successful in surviving in the hive. Unfortunately the hive superseded her about 2 weeks later.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like another reinvention of the wheel.