Queen intro...Combine with supers

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by channel12001, Aug 17, 2012.

1. channel12001

channel12001 New Member

Questions to the members....I am in the process of requeening an aggressive hive. I will spare you the background story. My current situation is that I have removed the old queen and am waiting 24 hours before introducing the new one. The new queen is in a nuc right now and has successfully mated and is laying eggs. I plan on doing a newspaper combine to introduce the new queen, however I have not yet harvested any honey from this hive. It currently has almost 2 full supers of honey on it. If I put the nuc on top of the supers, over newspaper, will the queen move down through the honey and into the brood chambers were she should lay? Or do I risk her laying in empty spots in the supers? Or can I put the nuc on top of the brood chambers over a sheet of paper, then put another sheet of paper on top of the nuc, then put the supers on top of that? Maybe put a queen excluder on top and a sheet of paper also? I say nuc but it is actually a queen castle so the hive body dimensions will fit any way I decide to stack them.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I will spare you the background story.

tecumseh:
    ahh NO you ain't gettin' off that easy. come on brother give it up! :wink: :wink:

to your question I would guess this (snip):
    Or do I risk her laying in empty spots in the supers?

these kinds of question are really not as simple as you seem to assume and some detail might be useful. things like origin of the nasty hive or how much brood you have in the bottom box would be useful to know.

since you have started the process and you have a finite period to act* my advice would be to simply set the nuc at the top of the stack with paper + queen excluder. in most places (USA??? not much of a clue there???) an entrance at the top of the stack is also essential.

*I myself would not have waited 24 hours to do this combine since that is just about the magical time period required for the existing queen hive to begin constructing queen cells so now at some point extensive manipulation in at the bottom of the stack to tear down queen cells is likely essential.

3. channel12001

channel12001 New Member

Background is, this was a swarm I picked up in the spring. Not knowing how old the queen was and the fact that the bees were a bit more aggressive than the hives I already have, I chose to requeen. There are 2 full deeps of brood, that is what I operate with, and 2 supers of honey on top. I'm just trying to get some advice as to how I should do the combine with having the honey supers in place. PS...tecumseh, I fixed my location.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would put the newspaper over the two existing deeps, then your nuc, then paper and your two supers (with an upper entrance). Just my opinion, I am sure somebody may have a better way.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I fixed my location.

tecumseh:
    excellent and I hope you enjoy the forum.

any number of approaches will likely work. the first thing to do is to get the two populations intermingling and then you can (and likely should) reorganize the stack of boxes (almost always brood to the bottom and honey to the top). at some time removing any honey beyond what is necessary for a hive to make the winter is a good idea. optimally you do not want two brood areas separated by honey for two long and pretty quickly you want the new laying queen at the bottom of the stack. the time line on getting this done is more like several weeks than several days so really you need not be in any extreme hurry to get this accomplished.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

find the queen on the frame use #8 hardware cloth and make a box by bending up the 4 side. press into comb over the queen and introduce her like a caged queen. smoke the bees in the hive and in the nuc heavily to mask the pheromones to put the frames from the nuc into the full hive. the bees will most likely chew a hole thru the back of the comb to release the queen before you return to release her in 3 days. or if you have an old queen cage, cage the queen and stop the hole with s marshmallow and introduce her in the normal method.
    If the hive doesn't need the extra brood you can use it to bolster other colonies.