Queen is gone

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by madskryger, Jun 27, 2015.

1. madskryger

madskryger New Member

Hi my Queen is gone can the bees make a New or do I have to buy a New ? Best regards mads

2. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Yes they can 1st they need eggs or the right age larva to make a queen. 2nd do you have any eggs larva brood they can make a new queen with. If so they will pick some of the right ones to start a queen cup feeding royal jelly then cap the queen cell once it's capped it will take around 8 days for the queen to hatch. 3rd do you have enough bees to last till see is out an mated. If not you may need to add a couple of frames of capped brood to boost them along till your new lady is doing her thing. This is my first year an I have had some of the same issues. There is alot of good information on this forum. If you like read the post that I have an there are alot of info on those that will answer some of your questions. The folks gave me some great info to go on. Good luck with your hive.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Mads, Many new beekeepers think their queen is gone when in reality she has only shut down her laying due to dearth. Since you don't list where you are I can't give you any idea if you are in a dearth or not. Queens can be very difficult to spot at times, even for "experts." Give the hive another week, then inspect for eggs or new larvae. If you can't find the queen and there are no signs of recent queen activity I would purchase a new queen and introduce her to the hive.

4. madskryger

madskryger New Member

Thanks Guys for the use full info that helped me alot .
    The summer here in denmark has been very cold so far.so that may be the reason.
    Best regards Mads

5. madskryger

madskryger New Member

I Got 2 Queens 1 for each hive and it seems to work thanks

Attached Files:

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck. Hope your bees accept them well.