Queen laying question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 6, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

This is going to sound strange coming from an old beekeeper, but i'd never gave it much thought or read anything that i remember? I've always thought that the queen layed in a cell and the workers built a queen cell over it, and i've had my suspicion of workers putting eggs in a queen cell (or cup).Maybe i'm getting senile,but do queens lay in a queen cell knowing this will be her demise :confused: Had a fellow ask me that and i couldn't give him an honest answer. I should know this. :roll: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Swarm cells are laid in by the queen.
    Emergency cells are built around existing larva.
    Supercedure cells, I don't know.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to complete Iddee line of though... superscedure cells are drawn out from worker cells.

the only instance when the queen should lay in a prepared queen cell cup is when she is fixin' to boogie on down the road.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had always heard that the queen would only lay in a swarm cell,but didn't really know? It's a wake-up call when someone pins you down. :confused: Which brings up the question. Are the workers the government and the queen the pawn, or is she the queen and the workers her subjects. In other words,who's making all the major decisions inside the hive. :mrgreen: Jack

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Neither.... They all have their job, and they do it without supervision. That's why it works. No blaming the other guy.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It does make you wonder the process they go through to make,or how they make the decision to replace a failing queen. A colony vote or just the house bees. :confused: Jack

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pheremones.... If she smells good, fine. If she doesn't, they all start looking for a replacement. No words needed.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hmmmm, maybe i should tell my wife to quit putting bee-go behind my ears when i go to town . Jack