Queen Mating Flight Issues

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by scrumbrakk, Jun 17, 2018.

1. scrumbrakk

scrumbrakk New Member

I moved to a somewhat rural part of south central PA. In the year and a half that I've lived here, I've only seen 1 wild bee, and that one was dead in the filter of my pool. I now have 2 hives and manged to do something to both queens. I let the stronger hive build it's queen cells and found where the queen had emerged and taken care of the other cells. It's now been about 2 weeks and no sign of a queen. Could there be a dearth of drones for her to mate with? If I start rearing queens, do I need to first get the biodiversity necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I do let mine free mate now but it was difficult when I only had 1 or 2 hives to get a queen to mate successfully. I'm up to 8 colonies

3. Casey Johnson

Casey Johnson Member

I had something similar just happen to me. Had 8+ queen cells. It has been two weeks and no signs of new eggs. Just had to purchase a new queen which will be shipped out on the 17th.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If there are no local bees, you'd better order a mated queen. I had a terrible time getting queens mated when I first started, as a bad removal had wiped out all the local bees, which was WHY I started.