Queen not laying...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, May 17, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I did a split on April 22, no queening done, just with young brood.
    On May 8 I spotted the queen.
    Today, May 17 I went out and spotted her again, she's in there roaming around just fine but there's no brood at all and not a single egg.

I also noticed that the ladies weren't forming that starburst pattern look around her like they do, she was just roaming about and they were pretty much ignoring her.

The hive was otherwise extremely docile and friendly, and there was a lot of capped honey and nectar on the edges of frames, and quite a bit of bee bread. It was myself and a friend doing the inspection, no smoke at all because he's got bad asthma, and two garden members were there at one point as well, and I showed them a few frames and the queen. So they had us all up in their stuff for much longer than I like to be in on an inspection, but still never got all upset about it.

Think I should worry now, or give her another week?

2. pturley

pturley New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would give her until May 27. Total of 35 days. Then if there is no eggs, add a frame with eggs and pinch her.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

queen raised from brood, another week or so as paul said......about 13 days for her to emerge from the queen cell(so already has), in general, add 15-16(sometimes longer) days for her maturation, mating and egg laying, add 21 days for workers to emerge. 1st brood emergence about 49-50 days, about 7 weeks. positive side to this, no varroa. i wouldn't wait longer than this if she doesn't start laying. (about 30 days or so).

whoops, iddee posted while i was!

Last edited: May 17, 2012