queen phermones an queen phermone lures

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Had some questions about this...a queen lure is made by soaking queens in alchohal right...does more queens in the brew mean a stronger lure...and also why does this work...a swarm already has a queen so why are they attracted to another queens phermones...also is there a diffrence between a virgin queens phermones an a mated queens phermones or a used up drone laying queen...if a colony decides to replace a queen are her phermones tainted in some way that swarm bees would recognize an be less likely to go to that lure...it would be a simple matter to breed a bunch of virgin queens for a lure but if its a mated queens phermones that work an not a virgins than thats a whole diffrent ball game.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good question, tec, Larry, or other queen breeders can correct me if i'm wrong. A virgen queen or old queen don't put out a strong pheromone like a young bred queen, reason why i say this is, i have seen virgen queens on frames being chased by worker bees or ignored completely like they were just another worker, after they are bred it's a different story. One sure way to know if a queen has or is running out (getting old) is to find supersedure cells, many new beeks confuse these with swarm cells, cut them out and the hive becomes queenless. I think that other hives can tell a weak hive by the pheromone it emitts (during a dearth) and is a prime reason that it gets robbed out, another reason to keep your hives strong. :thumbsup:. I have heard of beeks mashing old queens and putting them in alcohol to make lures, i've not tried it, i use lemongrass oil.All the above is just what i've seen over the years,so don't take it serious. :mrgreen: Jack

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I don't know anyone who actually does this. I have heard about the practice. But no lures on the market I know of uses alcohol.

It means a stronger something. But I would not call it a lure. Unless you think a bunch of bees checking out a queen smell, is a lure. All bees will check it out. But is that the goal? To have bees check out a queen smell. A pinched queen laying on the ground will also attract bees. But I would not suggest that this will be a great way to catch swarms.

Who said it works beyond getting the curious bee to see what the smell is all about. There is a huge difference between the "come hither" smell of swarms and the pheromones they put off, and a dead queen placed into alcohol.

You can order the three (or four...depending on the recipe) of the main ingredients needed to make swarm lures. They are very expensive, and one of the ingredients is very hard to locate.

The problem with lures on the market is most are one of two things. 1) An oil base with a small amount of the chemicals needed to call it a lure. 2) Nothing more than lemon grass oil.

Myself, I have sold lures for years. Thousands and thousands. I start with lemon grass oil and then add some other ingredients needed for the best results. Don't ask what those are.

There is actually a new product on the market, which is a bunch of crap. The new lures will last for a couple weeks, are expensive, and you need multiple lures for each trap during the season. Pure crap! Especially when lemon grass oil, or other lures are a much better buy.

If you wanted lures without messing aorund with cotton balls, or making ineffective lures based on urban legend at best, see this page.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/productspage.html

Lures are not that expensive. But you should at least have something that works.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"which is a bunch of crap. Pure crap!"

That's one thing I have always wondered about Mike, why he feels so hesitant to speak his mind. It leaves a fella trying to figure out just what it is he is really trying to say!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i know right...he's always so reserved...ya almost have to drag his opinion out of him...HOWEVER...he does have a button you can push....whatch carfully as i demonstrate...ahemm.....''Hey Bjorn....ive just been told that the only way to make ''REAL'' bee lure comes from 40 ''PURE BRED'' PennsylTuckey ''AI'' queens dipped in ''French Moonshine'' while soaking your feet in ''lemon grass oil mixed with sugar water'' O.O ok Perry...best you get over to his house with the shock paddles an nitro pills cause he's problly laid out stiff on the floor right now.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Hey, BJ, I think they've gotten your number.