Queen Pipe Catcher....Your experience

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Lburou, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

Any experiences with this Queen Pipe Catcher.

My lack of dexterity recently resulted in a good queen flying off while I was marking her. Can this device allow me to handle queens without squashing them?

2. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

It is used to capture the queen on the frame. After capture you replace the foam plug to move the queen to her new home. Remove foam plug and gently blow queen into JZBZ cage or marking tube. Make sure you blow gently into the pipe to remove her. It can become a pee shooter.
    I gave up the blowing part and just let her crawl out most times. At first I just used a queen catcher and placed her into a queen muff for marking. You can try that method also.

3. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I had one given to me just recently by a more "experienced" keep. He never used it and truthfully I haven't (yet). The idea is good, but I watch all the videos of people just picking up the queens between their fingers and think someday...... For now, I'm too ham fisted I think for that approach (just yet).

5. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

After one season of raising your own, you'll be grabbing them off the frames like a pro.
    Any other method takes to much time away from other tasks.
    If using the tube just remember, the queen will crawl to the light. You can cup your hand around it to make it dark at one end. Give it a try.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Next spring you can practice on drones.

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

I marked a drone last Saturday, it went well. I'll keep practicing. I marked my first queen in 1977....and understand how the pipe is supposed to work. I was interested in feedback from those who have used them. Getting ham fisted must be a part of old age ;)

8. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I guess if I did not want to touch the queen I would use the tube. As any new tool, it's fun to try them out. I bought one for my wife to fool around with. I've crushed more than my share of queens while caging.

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

Good to hear. I'm going to practice some more, if I can't be consistent in marking without damaging the bee, it will be something like this pipe -I'll be sure not to make it a pea shooter. ;)

WRT practicing on drones G3, I marked the drone in my shop, released it and trotted down to the hives in time to see a drone arrive with a spot on its back....That means that if I hurt him it wasn't very much. WooHoo! :)

10. LongWoods

LongWoods New Member

Tried one for a day, it was hand blown in Azerbaijan and a gift to my partner and did not have a cork.

Using 3 hole (Benton) cages I found it to be slower than just picking her up and caging her. It did seem to speed up catching 5 attendants rather than by hand. A scooping motion got all 5 at once, with some luck.

The tip of this pipe did not match up real well with a JZ cage though.

My biggest fear was breaking the pipe considering all the "other stuff" in the seat.

11. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I would be afraid of a glass pipe. The first place that thing goes is into a pocket.I would likely end up with a nasty cut when I forgot about it. The Kelleys is plastic.
    The big end fits the opening of a JZBZ cage with the whole top open. I have captured at least 3 nurse bees along with the queen before.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    My lack of dexterity

tecumseh...
    are you sure this isn't simply a matter of practice? this small deed much like grafting or welding or well any number of things does seem to improve the more you do.

13. Lburou

Lburou Member

No doubt practice helps. Confidence is another thing. An operation on one of my hands left it pretty numb. The other hand needs the operation. :)