queen question...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Omie, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

I thought of a question the other day, but wouldn't know how to look up an answer so I thought I'd ask here-

I know that when a worker bee stings, she leaves her stinger in the victim and then dies....but...
    Does a queen sting? And does she also lose her stinger and die when she stings? I'd think if a queen was killing a rival queen it would make no sense for her to kill the rival and then die herself.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A worker's stinger is barbed, thus holding when the bee pulls away, detaching itself from the bee.

A queen's stinger is smooth, thus pulling out when she pulls away. She can sting repeatedly.

Although, the queen will very seldom sting anything other than another queen. There are reports of a queen stinging a beek when being handled, but it is quite rare. She will not attack in defense of the colony, as workers do.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I knew there had to be a logical answer. Thanks! :)

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Here is a good question....Do worker bees die if they sting another bee?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

From what I have read, their exoskeleton is soft enough that they can normally pull out without leaving the stinger, but there are exceptions. Sometimes it does hold and the result is death.

No first hand knowledge here, just what I remember reading somewhere in the years past. Take it for what it's worth.