Queen Rearing Calender

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by G3farms, Apr 7, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some folks move the cells on the 9 day after graft and some on the 10th. this is one of those things you need to decide based on feel as much as anything else. temperatures (I suspect most especially high night time temperatures) can decrease the hatching time somewhat. so in the cooler part of the year 10 days become the rule and when it becomes a bit hotter anything beyond 9 days and you are taking the risk of cells hatching early.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Great point there Tec, please through in any more hints.

4. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Thanks, That's a nice little calender calculator.

I'm happy to say I plugged in my dates and it turns out I planned correctly :smile:.
    I'm planning on moving cells into mating nucs on day 10 (day 1 being graft day). Would that be the 9th day after graft that Tec is referring to? I don't think with local temps that my queens will emerge early; it just happens to be the day that best suits my schedule (and still jives w/ the rearing process).

-Dan

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Day 4 is graft day, day 1 is when the queen lays the egg. If you are grafting eggs then yes, but most graft 1 day old larva which is day 4.

6. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Yes, I was grafting 1 day old larvae (at least I hope I was). Most literature I've been referring to calls graft day (first day post-hatch) "Day 1", so that's how I've been thinking of it in my records. It does help add to the confusion though, huh?

I've heard there's some folks out there grafting eggs; I'd be curious how that's done.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

d magnitude you might wish to consider some of Jay Smith's writing or any of the stuff now days generally referenced as cell punch. as far as I know grafting eggs is not really done since these are attached to the wax.

the 'days from' can be a bit confusing in language or in the printed form of language. for myself I reference everything from the day of grafting working from that point onward.

I suspect any queen rearing calendar should also include what needs or should be done in the two to three week prior to (might be more or less depending on process used) beginning rearing cells. a lot of newer folks to queen rearing might profit greatly by not ignoring this time prior to beginning (grafting) this process.

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Great link G3farms....I am really liking this site, great information. Tom

9. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks Tom, seems they had updated their website.