Queen Rearing Kit, anyone uever use this.

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Yankee11, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with this kit. Seems like it would removed the issue of disturbing the larva.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxV0V9f3NB8

As I'm starting to raise queens I am looking at all the different ways. This looks interesting.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I have used one years ago still us the queen cups but graft into them. 1st you have to find the queen and get her into the cage. it takes leaving the queen in the cage 4 days or longer to get larva the proper age to invert to be drawn as queen cells. You are pulling a frame to place the Jenter frame oh the hive and then have to remove the frame and replace the frame after releasing the queen. in the video he stated 50% success, you should be able to achieve that rate of success grafting directly into cells. the system works it just requires more times going into the hive disturbing the bees. having to find and move the queen, rather than just finding a frame with brood the proper age and just grafting from it.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks Apis,

Sounds like I would be better off sharpening my grafting skills. Right now I stink at grafting :wink: I used the Chinese grafting tool and I really cant get that to work. Guess I'll give some of the other tools a try.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Graphing success is dependent on a lot of factors. Cell starter, is one of the most critical that it has bees the proper age and they are ready to look after the cells as soon as they are received. the second is that the larva are not allowed to dry out. While being trainees of in the cell builder being ignored by the bees until they realize that they are queen less and need the cells drawn. I use a 00 art paint brush place the brush beside the larva and twist the brush and it will draw the lava on the brush and roll the brush the othe way to leave the larva in the cell cup. I get the brisals full of royal jelly first by pulling the larva out of a few cells so more of the royal jelly is transferred with the larva.

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks Apis, I'll give the paint brush a try. My first try with the Chinese grafting tool was a flop. I also made other mistakes.

Gotta start somewhere though, right?

Was checking a hive this afternoon and saw a couple capped queen cells and one opened at the bottom. then i saw the new queen. She must have just hatched. Still fuzzy like the brand new worker bees are when they first come out. Gonna check in the morning and see if those other 2 cells are still intact. If so, I will cut them out and put in incubator. They will probably be torn open by morning.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I think I am going to give this system a shot this year but I plan on using a nuc for the egg laying rather then a full hive, I have a few nucs even now with real good queens, easier to find her in a nuc then a double deep :lol:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

For queen rearing you don't have to find the queen, just her eggs. In a full sized hive you are more likely to find large patches of eggs to practice with. And that's the big secret for queen rearing---practice, practice and practice. A second secret is patience, patience and patience. With a large measure of both secrets combined your success is almost guaranteed. :thumbsup:

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Efmesch This is the Jenter queen rearing system and the queen is placed in the frame and the queen lays in the cell bottom that are removed and placed in the cell cups so finding the queen is necessary on this system

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Apis, I stand corrected. But can I assume that practice and patience are still elements involved here too?

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Patience is needed the bees some time take a while to polish the cells and draw the cells out before the queen will start laying. once you have young larva in the cells it is just a mater of pulling the cell bottom of the cell out and placing it in the bottom of the queen cup. No grafting needs to be done and the larva is undisturbed in it royal jelly. The issue is the starter accepting the cells some jump right on ir other times the # of rejected cells can be high whether it is cause the cells were not polished by the bees or lack of bees the proper age or lack of honey flow. There are so many varietals that effect the success of queen rearing and as most find out requires resources, skills and commitment to be successful. to raise queens from your best hive can cause it to no longer be your best hive due to over management of the colony depending on the methods used. I bougt a jenter system and haven't used it the way it was designed for the last 25 years I found it easy and just as effective to graft directly in to the queen cells.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

hmm as Apis put it alot of time is required, this may not be the best for me yet, up till now I have been splitting nucs of good hives to raise queens and may just keep doing that for another year.