Queen rearing using Nicotte ?sp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I have used the Nicotte queen kit for years while I was in Canada. When I moved to Jamaica I bought a new kit as it was against regulations to bring in used equipment. My problem is that I have not been able to make the new kit to work. Frustrated with the kit any one have the same problem or is there someone who can give me some hints to why I am unable to make the new kit to work. I have a problem with the queens laying eggs, two days in the kit and not one egg.

Regards

Andrew

2. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Am I the only beekeeper to have bought into the Nicote queen kit. I used the orginal kit for years with good success rate but the new kit is not working. I hate to toss the kit aside especcially with the cost of the system.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't think i've ever heard of it. Jack

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry, not familiar with it.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like a cell non acceptance issue with the queen. these kind of things do happen. I have never used a nicotte system but the same kind of issues can arise when you are trying to get a queen to lay in a specific frame. perhaps spraying the area with sugar water or honey-b-healthy + sugar water would get the area some attention.

sounds like the area of cups or cells has not been polished to white glove standards so the queen will not accept and lay in those cells???? <definitely just a guess.

6. Andrew

Andrew New Member

The bees have had the kit long enough to clean, I wounder if the plastic used in the kit is the problem, depth of the cell. or stubborn bees. We are trying to raise large numbers of queens and I expected this kit to do the job. There is the Easy Queen kit which is also expensive and My eyes will not allow grafting.