queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by gloriousolive, Oct 4, 2009.

1. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

I have not seen my queen on the past two hive inspections, there is still brood to be seen, I have removed the queen excluder for the winter and left a full super on, I havent seen the queen in the super either. Is this a big problem?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Some times I go for months without seeing her. As long as there are eggs and small larva, all is well.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and sometime even with no eggs or brood things can be just dandy in that little white box. which is not to disagree with iddee prior comments, but if you know there is good reason for a queen to have cease egg laying then you don't necessarily need to panic either. some hives just seem to have the 'good sense' to halt brood rearing when it gets cold, or when it get too hot, or when the dearth has been on for a bit too long (actually I find it odd-er that some hives will just keep brooding away no matter what the environmental circumstance). I also go long periods of time without physically seeing a queen and as a general rule I can discern queenright-ness more on the composure/behavior of the workers when I first crack the box than anything else.