Queenless hive?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Jun 5, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Good Morning guys - School is out! and the weather has changed...too hot...but maybe that will change too..anyway I checked my hives yesterday and saw that some of the bees had not even started pulling comb in the supers I put on a few weeks ago, but they were up in there. The clover is just now really blooming...everything is late because of the cold and rain this spring.

But my main problem was...I had a hive that had NO brood and not many bees. I did not see a queen at all. So I combined it down to one hive body and combined that with the little hive I saved a month ago from the rob out. That little hive is making a comeback. I have brood in there now, and I saw my queen.

Next problem...I had another hive that had a lot of bees, but NO brood anywhere. I did NOT see a queen and it looks to me like they swarmed, but the new queen did not make it back to the hive. I bet that is what happened to my other hive because of the cold and rain. But this hive had a huge supercedure cell on one of the frames, and my question to you guys should I just let it be and check on it later or go ahead and get a new queen to put in that hive now?

This has been a rough spring on the bees. I bet they are just now packing nectar away in their hive bodies before they move up into the supers. I did have to add a super to one of my hives, and I happen to be out there when one swarmed. We are getting ready to go out and TRY to get it this morning. It's pretty high up in a tree and we will see what we can do.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wouldn't buy a queen. Let them raise one from your "known" stock.
    Good luck on catching the swarm. Be careful.

3. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Caught the swarm this morning while it was "cooler" . It took three stabs at it, but we finally got them in a hive. I thought I saw my life pass before my eyes when I was up in the tractor bucket as far as it can go, my husband was sawing with his pole saw, and the limb gave and the swarm landed on top of my head! THANK GOODNESS I had on a bee suit! There was no where to go and down was a LONG WAY down! :chased: Anyway we are going out there when it gets dark and move the hive because it is still sitting in the pasture and the cows just won't leave them alone once they find something "different" out on their turf.

How long should I wait before I check that hive that had the supercedure cell? It was capped over when I saw it yesterday, so I was just wondering when I should check to see if she is out or ???

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's why I told you to be careful... :D

Glad you got it.

The cell capped on day nine. She will emerge on day 16.
    She will begin laying between day 20 and day 30.
    I would check every other day to see if she has emerged.
    Then you will know within a day or two when she came out.
    Mark your calendar so you will know when the time is up.

5. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

On Tuesday I looked into that hive and the supercedure cell had a hole in the bottom and to the side a bit - so I am assuming she is out? The bees were really quite calm, I didn't have to use hardly any smoke so I always take that as a good sign - that things are well in the bee world. I'll check towards the end of the month to see if I have any brood.

That swarm I caught is doing well! They have adjusted to their new home once they moved the furniture around! :p