queenless hive

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Did a removal today, opened up the wall and removed lots of almost black comb, no new comb at all and almost no brood, a few capped but no larva or eggs, a good amount of bees Im betting it had swarmed and they failed to requeen, I framed a few comb and added a food frame and a frame of brood with 3 queen cells when i got it back to the yard, bee vac worked great again.

Attached Files:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Could someone possibly have sprayed the bees before they gave up and called you to remove them? If so, then you might not want any of that comb or those bees.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

naa they didnt spray these people wouldnt step on a ant, they said some weeks ago there were alot of bees all over the back yard at 1 point, odds are was a swarm and the new queen failed is all,all the comb was black cause the void they were in was full and I guess there just was no place else to build comb, I was paid to save them and I did, and I took a peek just before sundown and the new colony is glued to the frames I gave them so all is well.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Sounds like you did good and they will make it.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Armchair "expert ???" here. I wonder if there was a Q there which has not started to lay. I have heard the view that a new Q will not start to lay whilst there is old brood and plenty of bees present. You may find your Q cells torn down and still no sign of fresh eggs.

You are free to mutter ----- "Load of rubbish".....:smile:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I wondered the same thing Barbarian... although my arm chair should be more like a rocking chair.

the time sequence till the new queen begins to lay pretty much conforms to there being no brood left in the hive by the time the new queen 'should' begin to lay. most times what I notice in hives having real problems is a large drone population.... which suggest to me that the last queen was having problems towards the end of her reign.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

what Ive seen in my hives when 1 is getting ready to swarm is capped swarm cells and the old queen is getting ready to leave(so I move her to a new box) but the new queen at this point could be laying as fast as 2 weeks at this point and then there should still be worker brood hatching, even at 3 weeks there should still be some brood hatching,I only found 1 opened cell, this hive had very little honey stored and almost no pollen at all,and we are in a big flow right now, no k wing, no mites that I could find, and no beetle or moth larva, think they just had a round of real bad luck with the new queen. But then again if bees did what was expected of them every time we would not be hunting swarms:lol:

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lol well best laid plans so on so on,, at least 2 of the queens hatched 1 after the other and flew away with the workers while I was at work , wife said there were bees all over the back yard, when I got home there were just a few bees left but not enough to try to build a hive with so I added the frames back to the hive they came from, well win some loose some.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

The bees love to teach us good lessons at every opportunity! :lol: