Queenless hive....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by new2it, Jun 19, 2012.

1. new2it

new2it New Member

I have a hive started from a swarm on 05/01/12. First inspection, 05/15/12, I found no queen, no eggs or brood. Bees not foraging. Were started on a few frames (2) of comb with honey, and the rest just foundation. Wouldn't take syrup. inspected on 5/24/12. Still no queen, eggs, brood. Gave a frame of eggs, larvae from my strong hive, per recommendation of local beek. Checked again on Saturday 06/16/12. No queen, no eggs, nothing. Gave another frame from strong hive. Bees began carrying larvae from frame out of hive. even uncapping some and carrying away. still won't take syrup. very few foragers. Don't know what to do. Advice?

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

You have given them every chance. I would be tempted to dump them and concentrate my time on other better behaved hives. .:mrgreen:

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Just a guess but you may have an unmated queen in the hive

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have one like it except it was an established hive (a last year swarm). I gave them 3 frames of eggs and larva over a 3 week period with no results. I decided to stop robbing my strong hives during a good flow since it didn't seem to be doing any good. This was totally different from a queenless hive I had last year that produced their own queen after 3 donated frames.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would think by this point you are better starting over... you gave it a good shot but by this time all you have left in the hive is a bunch of old worn out bees. I would likely shake the bees from this hive out on the ground (to eliminate any problems associated with laying works) near an existing hive (if possible) and stack the equipment on the strongest hive I had close.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

As an afterthought. The swarm could have brought something nasty with them. A safe option might be to kill them rather than shake out. The equipment can be sterilized for re-use.

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I think you have a swarm of a swarm, if that makes any sense. They don't have a queen and no desire to create one. You've gave them every chance to be successful. I think I would follow Tecumseh's advice. I've never went wrong doing that myself.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it does sound like an after swarm which is quite normally headed by a new virgin. in the case described evidently the virgin either got murdered in the process or never got mated at all.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If, for the sake of the challenge, (as a learning experience) you want to see what can be done with this hive, shake all the bees out in front of another hive and give it a small frame with just a few eggs and very young larvae.
    Those who come back to this hive might start to raise a new queen.
    But, for the practical minded, Tecumseh's advice is best.

10. new2it

new2it New Member

Man, I hate to give up on this hive. Will try ef's suggestion and see if that has any effect. If all bees go to the strong hive, nothing lost, but if they return and attempt to raise a queen, will two or possibly 3 months give them time to strengthen enough for overwintering?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In MS., you can feed all winter. If you want to spend the money, they can make it through.

Of course, it may cost you more than a package would in the spring.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't we pay tuition to get an advanced education? New2it, you will learn a lot about bees whether they pull through or not. And if they make it, boy will you be proud. :wink: But don't feel guilty or too disappointed if they don't. :crybye:

13. new2it

new2it New Member

Well, I fully intended to follow ef's advice yesterday afternoon. I opened the hive to shake the bees out, and guess who decided to show herself? Yep, The new Queen! She has begun laying, and the bees are foraging more. I watched the hive for a couple of hours yesterday, and I definitely see more activity! They may just have a chance!

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Okay! You're on your way! :thumbsup: Don't stop moving forward. :grin: