Queenless Hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I checked on two of my weaker hives yesterday only to find that they are both Queenless. There were worker bee's in both boxes but no queen or signs of laying in sight.My other two hives on the other hand are rolling right along, both queens are laying and there is already plenty of brood.

I am picking up 8 packages this weekend and was wandering what is the best option to rejuvenate these two hives. I spoke to my supplier and can get two queens when I p/u my packages but wasn't sure if I should try to combine the two weak ones, add a couple of frames of brood to each and re-queen or just cut my losses & put packages in both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Either way would work,it's just a matter of how many hives you want. :confused: Jack

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

add a frame of eggs from the booming hives to the queenless. give them a few days and check for queen cells if they build a queen cell depending on the amount of bees in the hive you could either requeen with a new queen or let them make there own. If they dont make a queen cell put on a pollen patty and feed 1:1 and see if that fires the existing queen up

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and ordered 2 extra queens tonight and will try to jump start them this weekend. Should I go ahead and add a couple of frames of brood now prior to introducing the queens this weekend?

Thank again Jack/Rat!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, one frame in each. Be sure there are eggs in both frames. Unless you can find the queen in the donating hive, remove all bees from the frames. You don't want to accidentally move her along with the frame.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a riverrat snip..
    add a frame of eggs from the booming hives

tecumseh:
    this accomplishes several things. first it keeps the workers busy with a bit of brood rearing and maintains the age distribution of the worker population. it may somewhat delay the onset of laying workers (which sounds to me to be your largest risk at this point in time). and lastly on occasion it can encourage a new queen to begin laying.

the should suggest to you that you throughly check the hive prior to installing a new queen... first for laying workers, secondly for cells (knock these down) and lastly the possibility of a new laying queen.

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I will be sure to check for all of the possibilities, thanks for the advice. If I find that the workers are laying that presents a whole new set of problems doesn't it?

I plan on moving brood frames over tomorrow and adding the new queens on Sunday. I will thoroughly check them both for layers, new queens and cells.

Thanks everyone!

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wild Hog, when you put frames of brood in (wed. i think you said) i would go through again like Tec. said, and see if you missed seeing the queen. By putting brood frames in with eggs 3 to 4 days before you introduce the queen, and them being queenless, they will start cells very quick. So like Tec said, knock all signs of cells down before putting the new queen in or you may loose her. Good luck and keep us posted. Jack

9. scdw43

scdw43 New Member

You said weak hives, is that a softball size cluster or a basketball size cluster. If it is a softball size cluster you will be wasting a frame of brood and probally a queen.