Queenless hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by scokat, Jun 14, 2011.

1. scokat

scokat New Member

I recently bought(last week) four ten frame commercial hives, when i got home i transferred them into four 8 frame deep hives, the left over 2 frames from each of the four hives went into a fifth 8 frame deep. One of the hives had hundreds of dead bees on the bottom board and around the hive. So i have checked three times since the transfer and three of the hives plus the extra are queenless. Also one of the queenless hives is low on bees. I have ordered 4 queens, but my question is this, should i take a frame of bees and brood from one of the two strong queenless hives and add to the weak hives to help them build up numbers prior to the queens being introduced. I am in western NY, and there is still time for the fall flow.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

First Welcome to the forum you couldnt have found a more knowlegable friendly place to talk bees on the World wide web. I find it odd that all hives are queenless. Is there room for the queen to lay. How did you transfer them over to 8 frame equipment. You say there was hundreds of dead bees around the hive was this before you transfered them or after. Did you get the frames put back where the brood nest is all together or do you have pollen and honey frames randomly in between the brood chamber breaking it up into several sections within the hive.

3. scokat

scokat New Member

there is plenty of room for the queen to lay. The hive with the queen is doing fine, i can watch her when I have checked and she is inspecting and laying fine. I pulled each frame out and transferred to the new hive and kept the frames in order. The dead bees were in the old hives and in front of the pallet.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

On the one with the dead bees on the bottom board and around the hive sounds like maybe pesticide poisoning or some other problem. I dont believe I would have bought that hive. Sometimes when you disrupt the hives by moving them from one hive body to another it takes awhile before the queen starts laying again. I would wait a few more days to see if she kicks in

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

scokat writes:
    One of the hives had hundreds of dead bees on the bottom board and around the hive. So i have checked three times since the transfer and three of the hives plus the extra are queenless.

tecumseh:
    could be a number of things going on here. bee on the bottom board...if the weather was hot and the bees were closed tightly into their box when they were moved this might indicate overheating. dead bees around the hive sounds more like robbing. imo hives that are queenless are more subject to robbing more than queen right hives. old and gappy equipment can make robbing much more probable. if robbing is intense you may also have lots of dead bee on the bottom board most especially if the hive was strong.

when I introduced the new queens I would make certain that I had some young larvae in each hive that was going to get the new queens.