Queenless maybe?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by randerin, Sep 4, 2013.

1. randerin

randerin New Member

I had a late swarm... Approximately August 12th, according to a neighbor. I was on vacation. When I inspected (on August 23rd) I found several empty queen cells, but no eggs or brood (capped or otherwise). I inspected again today (September 4th)... Still no eggs or brood.

Today I ordered a queen... Premature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You should have eggs by Sept. 12.

3. randerin

randerin New Member

So as I suspected... I have now created my own dilemma... Maybe.

My question to the forum now is... Do I:

1. pinch the existing queen (if my feeble eyes can find her), and install the pricey Carniolan from California that will be arriving tomorrow; or

2. install the Carniolan in case there is no viable queen present and deal with the potential that she will be offed by the hive because of the presence of a queen in the making.

3. take some frames of brood, bees, and honey from a strong hive and let the new queen establish a nuc... with the assumption that I might be able to keep them through the winter (unlikely) or merge them with the hive in question if a viable queen never materializes.

I am a second year keeper. So please forgive my panic decision to order a replacement so quickly.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I would be inclined to try for a Nuc. Provide them with stores as well as drawn comb in a single deep. Feed them right through the fall. Winter them above a screen on top of a strong hive. You can always combine at the end of October if they're looking weak.

5. randerin

randerin New Member

Now I am really confused. I installed the new queen on Thursday, Sept 5th. I knew I might be putting her in a hive with a yet virgin queen, and that meant that they might kill her.

I did an inspection today and really got a surprise... I suspected that i might find eggs from either queen, but figured i might discover that the purchased queen was gone.

In the hive were two frames of eggs and larvae in a super nice tight pattern. A quarter of one of the frames was capped brood.

Moving around the frames was the new "marked" Carniolan queen.

Assuming she was released on the 5th, which I wouldn't expect such a quick release, would she already have capped brood today on the 10th. Seems too quick.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

5 days is too soon from egg to capped brood http://bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    At this point I'd leave well enough alone.
    There could be 2 queens but most likely the queen you spotted "dealt with" whatever queen is responsible for the capped brood.

7. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Very interesting and along the lines of what I am going through. I just added a new queen to my hive yesterday and upon opening the hive discovered that in fact there was no Queen in the hive, she didn't make it from the shed to the hive during the recovery. I also noticed that there are no visible eggs or capped brood. The bees were transferred Aug 20th and my hope is that they will not perish due to non repopulation. The bees are however doing a nice job of making honey and hopefully will welcome the new Queen and get down to business. What is the average time required for the Queen to escape the shipping package??

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member