queenless swarm building comb outside hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bradofbluffcity, May 31, 2011.

1. bradofbluffcity

bradofbluffcity New Member

Two questions:
    Why are bees building comb on the outside of the box? How do I source a queen?

Some years ago I worked 20 hives in Romania. I helped a paper-thin old grandfather with heavy work. I built components, carried boxes and windows full of honey to the spinner, spun honey out and split wood to make smoke. I am back in the states and have just realized I am not qualified. 7 days ago a swarm landed on some apartments that I manage. One of the tenants called a CraigsList advertiser. He drove an hour and half only to leave half of the bees. 4 days ago I decided to collect the cantaloupe sized remnant rather than let someone spray them with hornet killer. I dusted then off the house with a goose feather and put them in to a 5 ‘window’ box with the highest of hopes.
    Chances are that the swarm catcher got the queen. Can I source one locally? Should I buy one and have her shipped? Do I have time for that? Do I just give up?
    I checked in on the bees for the first time tonight and was disappointed to find a majority of the bees on the front of the box with some erratic wax built there and almost no activity on the foundation inside the box. Should I of let the tenants use their hornet spray? How to I tell my new bees to get to work in the right place?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, east Tn. is a large area. Please narrow it down a bit. We have members in the K-town area and north of Choo-Choo. Maybe one near you if you will change your location. They are likely to stay in the box if you scoop them up and put them in it at dusk. Scrape the area where they were good and wipe it down with clorox water on a rag. Some member should be able to help you locate a queen, but most times when they gather on the outside like that, they have a queen. She is the reason they stay outside.

PS. We call the windows "frames".

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Iddee Iddeee Idddeeee

You missed the clues, his name is "Brad of Bluff City" Tn

:) :D ;) :drinks:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tain't fair taking advantage of us senile old men like that........ :oops: :wave: :D

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

You can substitute a grasshopper for a queen for the time being. Or, if you can locate a drone, you can perform a sex change operation and make him a "queen" :twisted: :-D

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Iddee snip..
    but most times when they gather on the outside like that, they have a queen. She is the reason they stay outside.

tecumseh:
    yep. bees without comb or queen will fairly quickly find another home and will not linger in a place without either.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/

here is a link to the Tennessee Beekeepers Association, there is a map of TN and all of the local clubs listed, you might find some local beeks through it.

I would also say you have a queen in that little cluster, maybe a virgin queen (just thinking out loud).

Welcome to the forum :wave: , hope you hang around a while, we are friendly folks here.

8. bradofbluffcity

bradofbluffcity New Member

Thanks for the welcome and taking the time to respond. I took your advice and moved them inside around dusk. We will see if they stay.