Queens and brood

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Lazarus4, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Since this is my second year raising bees, I am sometimes dumber than a box of rocks when it come to bees.
    My situation is this: In one of my colonies I cant find the queen or see any sign of eggs or new larve. I think the queen is gone. The hive has started to build several queen cells on their own. Is there any way to capture those extra closed off queen cells? If so how do I do this? Do I need to move them into a "nuke" and then move them from the area so nobody migrates back to the "home" hive? It just seems like a big waste to loose those extra queen cells and these bees are very gentle and productive. Maybe I should have paid more attention to them building the queen cells and removed all but one cell before they got capped? Please educate me. Thanks :)

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The bees are building cells for the colony to survive. You can certainly disrupt that.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

As Gary implied leave them alone so they can get on with raising a new queen the more you disturb them the greater the risk of the colony replacing the queen

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

if I get what your asking, my question is are there queen cells on more then 1 frame? if so you can take a few frames ( 1 of food, 1 of capped cells and 1 with the queen cells) and move them to a nuc, move the nuc to a dark cool place like your garage with the entrance closed off for 24 to 36 hours then bring them back you the yard, they will forget there old hive at this point and not try to go back, make sure you leave a few cells in the old hive, and now you can raise more then 1 queen and have 2 hives from the 1.