Queens Offspring

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by guyross, Aug 7, 2011.

1. guyross

guyross New Member

I had a package of Itallians abscomb two weeks after they were installed. My BIL got the swarm and there doing great but she is producing some dark bees like my Sunkist and seem to have about the same temperment. Do some Itallians have enough AMM genetics to have dark offspring?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A queen will mate with 15 to 25 drones. Their daddies could be anything. You can have all colors in a hive with any open mated queen.

3. guyross

guyross New Member

She is a slut then:)

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, just when she only gets one chance in a lifetime, she makes the most of it.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It still fascinates me how the queen can choose whether to lay a fertilized or non-fertilized egg, at will.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    Me too. I wish my ex-wife would have had that option.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Some say it isn't really "at will" but rather controlled by the pressure or lack of pressure on her abdomen as she slides it into the cell. The smaller, worker cells provide more contact (=pressure) on the abdomen and this triggers the release of sperm from the spermatheca as the egg is released. Of course, if her sperm supply is gone, no matter where she lays, it'll be unfertilized. :roll:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Guy,
    You must remember, she is a queen, :)
    out of respect :eek:
    we call it "consorting". :lol:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Hobie writes:
    It still fascinates me how the queen can choose whether to lay a fertilized or non-fertilized egg, at will.

tecumseh:
    the old books suggested a mechanism for determining which sex was laid in which cell much like efmesch describes in #7 above. now we think things are a bit more determined by will as you suggest and the cell size and pressure on the queen's abdomen really has no bearing on this question. current evidence suggest that a queen measure each cell with her foreleg (I am not sure which one) somewhat like a machinist might use a caliper. then based upon this she either lays a fertilized or unfertilized egg. the experiment to determine this required the removal of one fore leg after which the eggs laid in any particular cell (drone or worker) became random. <source Wilson 'Honey Bee Biology" I would guess.

although the determination of color is a bit more complex than Iddee explains above in post #2 I would definitely never assume color of offspring tell you much about the kind of bees you may or may not have in any particular box. although we have this idea that an italian honey bee should be yellow with black stripes there is a variety of coloration in their original old world setting. the cordovans (almost purely yellow) on one end of the spectrum to almost totally black on the other end of the spectrum.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Amazing what sacrifices (of others) those scientists are willing to make just to clarify a question that tickles their curiosity. :confused:

{the experiment to determine this required the removal of one fore leg after which the eggs laid in any particular cell (drone or worker) became random. } :cry: