Queens that don't emerge...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dr.buzz, May 13, 2012.

1. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

How often do emergency queen cells not get opened? In other words, weeks after a split there is one hinged queen cell and several other queen cells on the frame that weren't torn open by the first queen, and that no queen emerged from. They are still just capped queen cells sitting there almost three weeks after the split that caused them to be created...

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have had that happen occasionally as well. When I do finally cut them open they are usually empty, and as such I guess they were ignored?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think Wilson (Honeybee Biology) reported that a large number (large percentage) of queen cells never emerge to obtain their adult form. In the very much distant past folks formulated why this might happen.... things like sonic booms and thunder were the rage before cell phone were blamed for such things. I have also notice here that a good number of times when I think a cell has not emerged it is simply that the trap door on the cell got closed when the prior occupant left. in the most dire of situation bees will drawn queen cells from drone larvae and even pollen.... these kinds of cells I would guess should never hatch.

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

That makes me think I've just been lucky when I have raised queen cells and started nucs with just two queen cells. I usually don't check nucs or splits for at least a month to do an egg check, so maybe this happens more often than I knew, like maybe by the time I usually check on things, the dud cells have been opened up and torn down....But there is a lot, like of all the queen cells on the frames, only one is hinged, all others are still there and appear capped. So if, for example, I had just cut two of them out to start nucs, in this case there would been no queen emerging in several nucs.....Hmm, something to keep in mind. Thanks for your help. Remind me to not using this hive as a cell raiser again.....