Queens

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by BjornBee, Sep 28, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have about 3 or 4 nucs that need combining. I still have some nucs at only 5 frame strength. So I will pull the queens and combine in the next couple days.

There is nothing wrong with the queens. Just late season queen rearing always makes for some nucs just not able to go through winter as is. These queens are mated, laying, and look great.

If you need a queen or two, you can PM me or call direct at my cell 717-571-0087

Queens are $20 each and if you are east of the Mississippi I usually mail USPS priority at about 6 dollars shipping.

Thank you.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

All Gone!

Must of been a shortage of queens in Texas. Last three orders all went there.... :thumbsup:

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Glad to hear it :Dancing:

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Charles,
    Thank you for the opportunity.

Right now, I get many calls for queens. People tell me they have exhausted all efforts and have called sometimes many places and no queens are to be found for what they are looking for. So when I do have excess queens, which I admit may not be often, it is nice to be a service and assistance to those on the forum.

Some forums view selling a queen as (Gasp) a person unfairly making money off the site, and for Pete's sake, we can not have that!

The queens are going to be sold anyways, so I see no harm in offering queens to other forum members, and having it actually viewed as a "service" provided to other members. If you have a forum membership that needs a product, such as queens, why one would not want any forum to act as a medium to help those in need, is beyond me.

Just glad to help others, while putting money on my family's table.

Thanks again Charles.

5. Charles

Charles New Member

No worries ;-) I think the trading post is for everybody and for anything. Even as we grow bigger and and we run into the need for "rules" :rules: I still don't see a reason for excluding anything that one beek has that another needs :mrgreen:

I've spent alot of time on a lot of different forums and one thing I've noticed is those selling anything substandard build a bad rep pretty quick...

and your welcome :dance:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only problem I can see that might arise is when the trading post is used exclusively. A person who comes into the forum only to post on the trading post and never posts in any other forum should be banned. It is for "participating" members only, in my opinion.

With 635 posts since Apr. 1st, I don't think BJ fits that category.

7. Beemaster

Beemaster New Member

I'm a member here and enjoy this forum , which I read often, even if my post count is low, although I most often use the text chatting to say hi to whomever is on when I'm around, but I think my own exeriences may help, concidaring reply #4 isn't exactly correctly stated.

If a member comes into (gasp) forum looking for queens, they simply post that in the Trading Post Forum and anyone with queens, or nucs, or whatever they are looking for can reply in Private Messaging. This tosses the whole purchase issue into the hands of the buyer/seller and keeps the admin from getting letters like: I never got my 3 queens I ordered, I was promised them 3 weeks ago, he never answers my call but has my paypal money. Etc..

I have always been neighborly and helpful here, explaining why no open selling/marketing is best (for my forum) to stay away from, is after nearly 6 years of doing Forum Admining, and receiving many complaints about poor selling practice complaints from disgruntaled members who then want to see the sellers BANNED, etc.. The least they do is post how poor their experiences are and the selling replies feeling threatened and a feud breaks out - sometimes, losing two members, usually of their own doing.

I also don't want to see a post stating "I have queens" constantly arise from the deepest bowels of posts as people frantically search thru pages of old posts, making them appear as new posts again as they rotate to the top when replied to - this happens very often in any forum - you'll see a post from a member you haven't seen in YEARS appear, get excited, only to find some new member found it and answered it, bringing the post back from the dead, people don't pay attention to dates, only placement of posts. To the average member, a post at the top is a new post until they finally see differently. It causes people to needlessly call sellers, sometimes long out of the selling business, all because they didn't pay attention that the post was a year and a half old.

So it was not an easy decision to stop selling of any kind, but we opened the possibility by allowing members seeking goods of any kind to ask for them instead, then do all transations privately. The same gets done in the end, except the people who are selling are scanning the trading post for fresh customers, needless and outdated advertisements aren't cluttering up our forum and since I have inacted the new Trading Post Rules, I have not had one complaint. People still use the Private Messaging to sell items and life goes on without the hassles.

Just thought I'd share. Having an unhappy customer out there complaining about buying something through your forum can come back and bite you, no matter how univolved you are - I just distanced ourselves an additional step and it has worked well. Hope you better understand my thinking, I don't expect to change anyone elses practice, I just thought you might use the information positively as you continue to grow. Best wishes.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good info and a lot of insight. It is certainly something to watch for and time may require some changes. We will have to adjust and resolve as problems arise. Thanks for the input. It explains a lot and gives us some things to be on the lookout for.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I agree iddee.

I find that when someone wants or NEEDS a queen, it is something that a beekeeper needs responded to very fast. I think most beekeepers either seek a posting of someone selling queens, and the issue is resolved rather quickly, or they are on the phone that day, until their need is filled. I do not know any beekeeper who posts on a thread and then sits back and waits for someone to respond.

People who are not active members, and want to sell....tough luck.
    People who "bump" a post once a month to do nothing but sell....tough luck.

I have found that some sites take down a for sale post after 7 days, or require the person who made the post to remove after the transaction is filled. Did you take notice of the professionalism of post #2. :thumbsup: That is the way it should work. ;)

It's not that hard to make a system work and eliminate any "potential" problem that may exist.

As it is, this site allowed it's member to be exposed to someone with a product, and a need was filled. And I am grateful.

10. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for input Beemaster, your experience and wisdom is always welcome here ;-) There's always those that will take advantage of what should be a "good thing". I personally have always found forums to be a great place to find things I needed in a sale/trade thread so giving members the opportunity to do the same is something I wanted to do.

The largest board I belong to has nearly 9,000,000 post (yes 9 million) and 800k threads, The second largest is coming up on about 1 million posts. Both forums handle the sale/trade in very different way's. The important thing here is they both have sale/trade forums that function well with few problems.

If the sale/trade on this forum here ever got to be popular enough to be a problem, I would suggest a free 3rd party rating site for forums such as heatware. For those not familiar with this type of service, it's very much like an ebay feedback rating but designed for forums. you can see mine here: coog. It takes a long time to build up a good heat rating and sellers are usually willing to go above and beyond to preserve that rating if there is a problem.

With some well written rules and a feedback system in place a sale/trade forum can be of great benefit to a board.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bjorn writes:
    Must of been a shortage of queens in Texas. Last three orders all went there...

tecumseh:
    this year has turned out to be the worst of several years all stack neatly in a row (likely somewhat to highly correllated with el nino). this season we had about 55 days of 100+ temperatures with really didn't encourage much queen rearing and even if you did attempt some queen rearing the drone population was extemely thin. in addition to this problem... my good neighbors down the road have quit rearing queens here after the month of june due to increased problems with shb. as things worked out the shb seems to be somewhat to highly limited in those years which are hot and dry.

for myself the for sale/wanted portion of these forums are one of there most valued components. first and foremost it allows anyone to present a product to a QUALIFIED audience at little to no cost which is likely only available as an alternative thru one of the bee magazines. secondly it allows folks like myself and bjorn to turn a $ off of something someone else desires which we have in excess. most importantly (for myself) price determination ($ data) in a market is (or can be) difficult problem for most all small scale operators... so this portion of the forum is extremely valuable for me in getting some idea of what folks charge and what folks will pay for any given product.