Question about a cutout today

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Eddy Honey, May 24, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My wife and I did a cutout today. Let me start by saying this old house has holes in it everywhere.
    I took the whole hive out of the bathroom closet and vacuumed up all the stragglers. I spent more time trying to get stragglers coming in from the field and there is NO WAY to seal up everything on this old house. Assuming I got the only hive in this house, how long until the returning foragers and stragglers will be gone? I told her a few weeks.

The woman said she just began noticing bees "a little while ago". All the comb was new, there were no less than a dozen queen cells, and I didn't see a single drone. Is this probably a swarm that moved in recently?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some mega hive somewhere in this house. I didn't see bees going in anywhere else though. The bats didn't seem to mind either :shock:

elmer cutout.jpg elmer cutout.JPG 1.jpg elmer cutout.JPG 2.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's a recent swarm that is superceding the old queen. There is a mother hive within a quarter mile. Probably within 200 yards. The smell left behind will attract another swarm. If not this year, then next. Try to fill the wall with insulation or something so the next swarm won't have space to build.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"All the comb was new, there were no less than a dozen queen cells" ????? If the comb was new, why would there be queen cells? Sounds to me like it moved in and is ready to throw a swarm? I'm missing something, help me out here. :lol:

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok Iddee.

If only Home Depot had enough insulation for this one.

This place is T-111, over asbestos siding, over asphault board, over clapboard. Someone tried to install new windows and cut all this different siding too big for what he needed. Plus the soffits are rotten. When I looked at it yesterday my brother asked if I was going to do a trapout. I said sure, I'll just need a big cone I can put over the whole house. It's for a elderly friend of his and a very understanding one at that. :thumbsup:

Perry, all the comb was new looking. There was a nice patch of brood on 2 combs and LOTS of capped honey

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If that's the case, I guess you have yourself a nice permanent swarm trap.

Perry, supercedure, not swarm cells.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Yep! I should go back and install some frames and foundation in those walls :grin:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Or a swarm trap or two in the yard.....................