question about adding drawn comb and undrawn comb.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, May 10, 2013.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i made some splits in a single 10 frame deep and added a new queen. i like to add another 10 frame deep but don't have a lot of drawn comb. in the new deep that i am going to add should i add a drawn frame in position 1 and 5-6 and 10 and the rest un drawn foundation in the rest of the positions?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would put all 4 in the middle two get the queen going and when they draw out foundation to 2 and 9 i would switch places with 1 and 10 and add the other deep. But that's just me. Jack

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Just be sure to keep the frames with brood together until the new split is strong.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

adamant i would do as jack said.... but i would also feed 1:1, until these frames are drawn.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'd go with Jacks advice too, keep all 4 drawn frames together in the middle so the queen won't have to jump around too much. The workers generally draw comb frmm the center of the box outward.

6. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

My new splits are really doing well and I want to add another hive body as well. I do have a couple of drawn frames to put in there, but should I feed 1:1 till they draw out more comb? If so - through a Boardman feeder or top feeder (for robbing problems) We have a good honey flow going now - this week's forecast is warmer sunny weather- we even have white clover starting to bloom in our pastures.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Jack said....

8. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

with or without the 1:1?? Boardman or top feeder??

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

I never feed processed sugar syrup if there is a ton of nutritious natural nectar and pollen out there. But that's just my own approach, others may advise differently. :)

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

arkie,
    i don't like boardmans. whatever you use, feed 1:1 until all the combs are drawn out, with, or without the flow.
    you have a young divide that does not have the force to draw comb and/or forage as a full hive does. feeding is a 'kick start' for them; stimulates build up and comb building, and once they are strong enough, and the comb is built, they will ignore the feed, or may ignore it sooner. you will know.