Question about first swarm

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just starting out and have 2 hives, got them both a week ago.. One swarm capture and another cut out.

My question is about my swarm capture. The capture appeared to go text book. Dumped the swarm in a nuke box and all bees outside box went into box very quickly. So felt very good about having the queen in there.

Moved them into a regular hive yesterday and they had already built a huge amount of comb in the of the empty frames. The comb is packed with small larva. I have not layed eyes on the queen yet though. It was a very, very large swarm. About the sizre of 4 footballs

My question is, without seeing her, is the larva a good sign that she is in there? I've read some that the workers can lay eggs.

Thanks,

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You have the queen and all is well. Laying workers do NOT develop in 1 or 2 weeks. I have hives I have never seen the queen in. If I see eggs and larva, I am happy and don't look for her.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just seeing signs of the queen is a good enough reason to back out of the brood nest, no need to stress them or even take the chance of squishing the queen if you don't need to.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some queens are just sneaky... even some that are well painted. typically these become very accomplished at ducking along the bottom bar or some small hole in the comb from one side of the frame to the other.

as is typical here what Iddee says applies... I myself just need to know that the queen is doing her job in an appropriate manner... seeing her is a bonus.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yankee11:

I see that this is your first post and you have already received answers to your queries from 3 of the most esteemed members of the forum! :thumbsup:
    What they have in beekeeping knowledge is formidable, (social graces may be another matter :wink: :lol:)
    What I would like to do, recognizing that this was your first post, is welcome you to the forum! :hi:
    You could not have found a friendlier place to hang around and have some fun and "talk" bees.
    If you feel like it, introduce yourself on our introduction thread and you may find that there are members in your vacinity that may be able to share information that would be relevant to your specific area.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Woo Hoo Another Yankee ... lol

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

From Arkansas ?
    Watch it fellas there's one amongst us !
    LOL

Murrell

8. melrose

melrose New Member

Ar-Kansas yankee... hmmmm-mmm :club:

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

We are everywhere

10. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Youuns (you guys) are funny, Thanks everyone,

I feel better knowing things are as they should be.

I am new here and new to Beekeeping and really loving it so far. Have 2 hives both captured 9 days ago. Both seem well, so far as I know:)

I'll try and make it over to the introduction thread when I get a chance.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and this seems like a good place to get answeres

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We have many answers to your question :lol: It is said that if you ask 10 beekeepers the same question you will get at least 15 different answers!