Question about frames

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Jesse Young, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Jesse Young

Jesse Young New Member

Hey everyone, I have a question about frames. I recently got all of the supplies to start keeping bees in the spring. I ordered standard frames with a plasticil foundation. The foundation has two corners that are perforated to break out the corners, I think. Should I break those corners out? I think that they are there to allow easier passage between frames for the bees, but I'm unsure.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

no need to, im not sure what the break away corners are for , but if you post a picture of them, I looked at my frames and none have anything like your talking about. there is plenty of room around the frames for the bees to move around, and if you did break the corners off the bees would probably build comb over them, once you get started you will see the little buggers love to make comb anyplace they can..lol

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

they are indeed for bee tunnels. if you ever run foundationless you'll find bees leave themselves a couple of shortcuts to get from one frame to the next, these openings facilitate that. You can break them on the line if you like.

4. Jesse Young

Jesse Young New Member

I'm not sure how to post pics on here, but if i can figure it out, I'll post a couple.

5. BKAdmin

BKAdmin Administrator

From a CPU use the "Upload a File" button. Clicking I will pull up a directory on your CPU. You then navigate to the image and double-click it. It will upload. After upload place your cursor where in the text box you would like the image to appear and select the thumbnail or full image button on the bottom left corner of the post response box.

6. Jesse Young

Jesse Young New Member

Cool, I didn't even see the upload file button. Thanks!

Attached Files:

BKAdmin likes this.
  7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

none of my frames have that corner..I wouldnt waste the time to punch them out, I have never seen that on any frames in other hives of friends either....it doesnt look like they would break out that easy either and might end up cracking a big piece off the foundation..

8. Jesse Young

Jesse Young New Member

Sounds good. I'll leave it alone, I'd hate to ruin the foundations.

9. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

when the bees make comb on the frame they usually go all the way to the edge and would probably cover that little corner over..