Question about getting them to draw new comb.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I've been noticing something in my new nucs I am making up. I put the queen in the nuc and a frame or 2 of larva.
    Maybe a frame of drawn comb and a couple frames of foundation. Then I feed them some 1 to 1 syrup.

Whats happeneing is they are filling what little space the have with the syrup and not drawing out the frames. This doesn't leave the queen any space to lay and they start build swarm cells. I've had happen about 3 times already. They are not supersedure cells, they are building them on the bottoms of the frame.

How do I feed them and get them to draw comb without filling the existing comb with the syrup. I'm having to split splits.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You've got me stumped. What I would try is to give them a thinner syrup---something they'd have to do more work on before storing. The "logic" of my suggestion is that they would have to spread it out in more cells as they bring it in---therefore they'd build. But as they concentrate the syrup, cells would be vacated and the queen just might get to them first.
    I could be WAY OFF with this suggestion since I have never faced this problem. Before you try my advice, let's see what other forum members suggest. :confused:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, ef is correct. 1 part sugar, 2 parts water.

Second, arrange frames with brood together, then empty foundation, then stores.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok on the syrup. I'll mix 1 to 2.

I am having to use foundation. Config is like, 1 to 2 frames brood. I frame of pulled comb and 2 frames of foundation.

I wonder if should rob some pulled comb from big hives and insert the foundation in the big hives. Then have all 5 frames in the nucs pulled comb. Maybe the big hives would be more inclined to pull the foundation than the small nucs.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Neither will build storage buildings until they have something to store. Also, if there is a pollen frame next to a brood nest, the brood nest will never get any bigger. She will not cross a pollen frame and lay in the next one.