question about Honey B Healthy /Pro Health or making your own

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Apr 7, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i was at a bee meeting today and i overheard a group talking about adding supplements in there feed.. a few where talking about making there own additive that was the same as Honey B Healthy /Pro Health ..
    any of u make your own?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nope, but I don't use HBH either. Does a great job of causing robbing, cost me a hive.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Love to know their recipe ??

I use H B H myself, small quantity in winter food, normal dose in spring, and last year on a small swarm I fed them all season with normal dose.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have heard of some commercial folks who make their own. It is my understanding that there are some ingredients that are quite pricy... thymol I think is one (not sure it has been some time since I had that conversation).

I myself tend to shy away from products like hbh for exactly the reason the Gypsi described.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Since there seems to be no other bees around this erea I am planning on giving my bees a little HBH in their feed when I get them, I think they will need all the help they can get since every thing has bloom and only few flowers are still out. Which will probly be gone when I do get the bees in 2 weeks.

kebee

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have been feeding my bees a lot (about 2 or 3 gal/week) but they have a lot of empty foundations and lots of comb to build. I have been putting a splash in each gallon of syrup (along with a splash of lemon juice). They've really been sucking it down. I've been putting it into ziplock bags on a picnic table about 100 feet from the hives. I don't know if it stimulated feeding (like it advertises) or if they're just hungry. I'm trying the gallon starting today without HBH to see if they like it as much.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'll bet your beekeeping neighbors appreciate you feeding their bees hbh and sugar water while their honey supers are on in a flow.......:eek: :mad:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You are still feeding with all that is in bloom right now!! WOW and you are just down the road a piece from me, the black locust is coming on strong now!

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

While we are on the subject can any one give me a 1 to 1 mixture to feed, I know it is on here some place but I cannot find it. Thanks
    kebee

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

There's not any beekeepers around that I can find. I'm pretty isolated. And I do have a lot of empty frames to draw out comb on. Plus I just did a split. So I figure I'd feed them a little more, since they seem to want it so much. I may look at slacking off toward the end of the week, if the frames are filling up.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Kebee, fill a container with sugar, dump it in a larger container. Fill the smaller one with water, dump it in the large one. That is 1 to 1.

12. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Another formula for 1 - 1 is 8 lb. sugar, 1 gal. Water.Thus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 2 - 1 is 16 lbs sugar, 1 gal. Water.Murrell

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i use hbh. a commercial keeper i know makes up his own using wintergreen oil, eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil, he uses this in his syrup and patties as well. the oils are pricey.

there has been some mention of hbh and robbing. many variables can contribute to robbing. i haven't experienced robbing from the use of hbh.

14. mrbee

mrbee New Member

We use HBH on all our hives and have never had an issue with robbing. Though we use a sprayer and apply directly to the bees. Mix 1/4 cup HBH per gallon HF corn syrup. Seems to work pretty well.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've not had a robbing problem with HBH during a flow, (feeding nucs and new hives) but during a dearth, look out.:shock: Jack