question about night lighting

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by lazy shooter, May 27, 2013.

1. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I am going to place a hive in my back yard. It will be a new apiary location for me. My house sets on a wee bit more than three acres. There is a night light on a 16 foot pole. The light is operated automatically via a photo electric sensor that causes the light to burn from dusk to dawn. As we say, all night long. My chosen location will be about 85 feet from the light. At this place, the light is weak and makes a shadowy, kind of eerie, surreal environment. Will this weak light adversely affect the bees?

I could move the hive much further from the light, but for many reasons this is my preferred location. Still, I don't want to put them in a place that will be detrimental to their mission.

Lazy

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

lazy, the light is not going to affect the bees.......:grin:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

What riverbee said. My hives are only about 50 feet from the security light on top of a pole. No problem at all.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You should be just fine, Mom's security light is about 150 feet from my hives and has no effects on them.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You should be fine. That is unless some night you get a running start and tackle the hive in the middle of the night. Hopefully the bee will migrate towards the light and let you escape to the house. just sayin:grin:

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Agree with everyone, light will not be a problem for the bees.