Question about nuc sales etiquette

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

This is my first year selling nucs. I went conservative. Advertised locally - sold only about a dozen because I wanted to make sure that I could deliver. Had to turn about twice that many people away once the nucs were sold.

Well - I am finishing up my second and final round of nuc-making. I have a nuc that is sold and it has been ready since last Friday. I notified the buyer that the nuc was ready to pick up. Nothing. Sent a 'reminder' today via email. The buyer replied that her hive should be arriving at her home in the next couple of days and that she would let me know when she can come and get (and pay for) the nuc.

My question is - what is the proper course of action here. I had to turn a LOT of people down who wanted nucs (I took orders on a 'first come/first served basis). I still have their numbers. I haven't taken any money and this person appears to be completely unprepared for beekeeping (I have had other exchanges with her that reinforce this conclusion).

Do I just keep waiting for this person to get their act together - meanwhile, taking care of 'her' bees until she does? How long should I reasonably wait before I consider cancelling the sale and sell the nuc to another? I am getting a bit frustrated with the situation, for 3+ weeks while queens were being made, I was contacted a number of times about when things would be ready. She seemed pretty impatient then, now I am holding onto the nuc when I could use the equipment for my own overwinter nuc/queen raising.

All perspectives are appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well best to wait the few days, 100 good sales you hear nothing but 1 disgruntled customer (her) and every1 in the area will hear about it even if its totally her to blame.

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

Thanks Zookeep - and that is sort of what I am worried about. From my conversations with her, it has become clear that:
    1. She has completely unrealistic expectations
    2. She has not done anything to prepare/educate herself with respect to beekeeping.

I have become at least a bit worried that she has set herself up for failure and then, if it happens, will blame me and/or my product.

4. KiwiMana

KiwiMana New Member

Hmmm yep I know that type of customer. If she doesn't back to you, give her a call and tell her you will need to sell them to someone else. Bees can't remain in the NUC forever.

If she is unsure of what to do, you can offer to give her some lessons for a fee? That might help her start her journey and generate some income for you.

Thanks...Gary

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

3+ weeks it is time to nuc out her nuc. they need to be in a single a week ago and have frames and space to accommodate the expanding population.

6. Tyro

Tyro Member

Update: Not surprisingly, I received an email yesterday from the customer apologetically cancelling her order. She finally scheduled a time to pick up the nuc and then on the day she was supposed to pick it up - she backed out. Fortunately, I shouldn't have any trouble selling it to someone else (demand here is pretty high). I did learn a couple of valuable lessons:

1. Require a NON-refundable deposit.
    2. Clearly state the terms of picking up nucs (I am thinking within 10 days of notification that it is ready)

Mike