Question about Nucs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

How do "bee breeders/sellers make up nucs; more specifically, how do they go about queening them? When I bought my 2 nucs I brought my 8 frame deep and 3 frames. They added 5 frames of their stuff but I didn't see if they pulled them out of a 5 frame nuc box or just pulled them from a large hive and released a queen from a cage. Jst curious...and bored while dinner is cookin' :|

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Most who build nucs to sell use 5 frames and bees from an existing hive and introduce a new queen in a cage. Some do the same thing but instead of adding a queen will add a capped queen cell. When I make splits in a Nuc I do it early in the year pulling frames from hives making sure I dont get the queen and make sure I have eggs in each nuc. Hope this helps

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the resources (the number and kind of frames used can vary greatly depending on the time in the season) for a new nuc are almost always removed from a strong hive. in 'destructive nuc production' you may totally destroy a hive to produce half a dozen new hives. the process is pretty much like riverrat described. generally here cells are used on the earliest made nuc and mated queens on those that are made up later in the season.