Question about the Top Bar Hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bheckel169, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Bheckel169

Bheckel169 New Member

As a beginner, I'm seriously looking at a Top Bar Hive. I like the philosophy behind them and the less intrusive nature of the beekeeper's participation.
    Anyway, here's the question. The Top Bar has a finite space; 30 inches to maybe 42 inches long. What if your bees have a really good year, the nectar is flowing and their building lots of combs. With a Lang hive, you just add supers and they continue growing into their new spaces. With a Top Bar there is no place to go. Is this even a possibility after the hive has been established for a couple of years? If so, I don't want to be out there splitting hives and ending up with multiple hives because they just keep expanding.
    Is this a concern or is my naivete about beekeeping, showing?
    Bruce

2. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

I don't have experience with top bar hives, but I have heard them called "swarm factories." If the bees get crowded in the spring/summer, and you don't have a way to give them more room, get another hive and try and catch the swarm that leaves. I don't know if anyone makes "supers" for top bar hives or how they would work. Top bar hives are generally used in areas that cannot afford Langstroth equipment or are used by experienced beekeepers who want the challenge of more "primitive" equipment. I guess it's the equivalent of using a long bow instead of a compound bow for hunting.

3. Charles

Charles New Member

You can stack hive bodies on a Warre Hive and use top bars. From what I've been told though the inspectors frown on them as they are not easy to inspect. You might want to checkout this page:

Warre Beehive