Question about wild honey bees...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tiso_us, May 11, 2011.

1. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

This is my first post, but this year, a nest of wild honeybees seem to have moved in.

I have a un-occupied camper with no electric sitting about 200-300 yard from my house, i love honeybees, but should i be worried?.

The camper has a compartment that opens up at the back, at the cable hookup for the electric is their entrance, they are honeybees with pollen sacks going in on the right and bees coming out and flying away on the left side.

I love honey, but i don't have a clue as when one would harvest it, I just found them on my property this spring.

One note though, I have a tolerance to bee stings, but my daughter is allergic, but that shouldn't be a problem, she's to busy with college.

Thank you and any answers would be appreciated.

Tiso

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They are really no danger, but the right thing to do would be to find a local beekeeper to come and move them to a hive, either for yourself , if you want to begin beekeeping, or for him if you don't.

Look at the forum titled "Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' and read about removals.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

ditto on what Iddee said.

sounds like a bee fly through, just dropping off their load.

Welcome to the forum by the way, hope you hang around and start bee keeping.

4. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. There is a guy that has 1 hive down the street about a quarter of a mile, but he has no bee's that i know of....I could let him have them.

Or, I could get a hive and have them placed there like Iddee suggest.

I do enjoy the hive and am fascinated with them since they do pollinate my blueberries, God, I've never seen so many blueberries not to include the peaches...lord!.

Well it look's like i got some reading to do in the "Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs" section.

I must ask though, does bees like shade or open sunlight?, i'm thinking shade.
    and...
    when is the best time to harvest honey?

Thank you.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sun. More sun, then some sun.

Shade after 4 pm doesn't hurt, but as much sun as you can give them.

Harvest will likely be June of the second year.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My hives are sitting in full sun til late in the after noon when the sun is on the other side of a big gum tree, sun helps keep down the small hive beetles.

7. tiso_us

tiso_us New Member

EXCELLENT!, I know the perfect spot, right beside a big ceder tree.

As you can tell from the slow response, i'm still reading.

Thanks for the responses.