question for swarm chasers

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by wadehump, May 5, 2011.

1. wadehump

wadehump New Member

Okay heres the deal bro in law stops by and says do you want a swarm of bees. I gave him the does a bear sh*t in the woods look.So he tells me THEY are in a maple tree across the street from his house and he say's there are 2 balls of bees one is large and the other is about half the size so i load up a ten frame and a 5 frame deep and get there and he is right there are 2 swarms clustered about 7-8 feet apart i can see where they came from knot hole about 25 feet away bees coming and going hard still very active . SO here is my question could this be 1 huge swarm or 2 seperate swarms i hived them as 2 and saw the queen in the smaller one she was very runny and i had to catch her by hand 3 times and put her in the box i finaly got them to all go in the other bigger swarm went right in no problems and clustered up . could this be a mother daughter overwinter swarm OR could it be a primary swarm and a virgin that just hatched the reason i ask this is we have had rain and cold damp weather for the last month and monday and today have been the only good sunny flying days and forcast is calling for rain off on for the next sevin days

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would say primary and secondary swarm. Primary will have the old queen and the secondary will have the runny virgin queen.

Glad you got them put up.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My money is on what G3 said, primary (big) afterswarm (small).
    Two catches at the same time, Wow! :thumbsup:
    Sounds like it might be a good spot for an empty box with 1 old comb and a bit of lemongrass oil in the days ahead. :D