Question on brood box

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Number one, I do not plan on running a queen excluder, so that is out of the question. I added a medium box to one of my hives that was going real good. They had drawn out all but two of the frames in the deep box.

Since I did this, the queen has decided to lay in the medium box that had all foundationless frames in it. I do not have a problem with this as I plan on letting them have the brood box and one super.

My question is, they have started storing honey in the bottom box as she has all of the frames in the medium full of brood, what should I do, if anything?

If it matters, this is the hive that I did a newspaper combo on several months ago. I have top entrances on the brood box and the super.
    Robert

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"started storing honey in the bottom box as she has all of the frames in the medium full of brood".
    Throw on another box. Why not? If the frames are all drawn out and they are backfilling the brood chamber, give them more room.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My suggestion--(it sounds a bit complicated but really isn't).
    Temporarily reverse the medium and the deep and place another deep or medium on top. If you don't have built combs for the top super, take some sealed brood to put on top (don't space them out) in the middle. Compact the frames in the lower box that now has empty space and fill in the empty side spaces down below with frames for building. After the queen moves up into the deep, take the medium and put it on top to allow the brood to hatch out and make the cells available for honey storage.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Leave it as is and in 30 days they will have it reversed.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

roberts post:
    "My question is, they have started storing honey in the bottom box as she has all of the frames in the medium full of brood, what should I do, if anything?"

iddee's reply:
    "Leave it as is and in 30 days they will have it reversed."

they will have it reversed, the bees and queen will move down, and the bees will make room for the queen to lay :grin:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Is swarm season over there? If they/she runs out of room.............

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry's question:
    "Is swarm season over there? If they/she runs out of room...."

she will move down when she needs to, and from robert's post i would expect this to be quite soon, the broodnest will 'relocate' in the bottom and the honey stores will eventually be stored above, with a couple of frames of honey/pollen in the bottom.