Question on giving wax to bees.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mosti, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Hi, can I give my bees left overs of wax, from their own. Will they use it? if yes, where do you place it?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

most likely they wont use it. I would be worried about attracting small hive beetles if you have them in your area of the EU

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The bees will use very little of it if it is still in thin comb pieces. If you crush or melt it is useless to bees.

4. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

when I feed cappings back to my bees, I see a lot of them carrying around little pieces of wax. But I have no idea if they re-use it or carry it out of the hive on clean up duty.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Most gets thrown from the hive. A friend had his hive on a larger cement slab I was amazed at the amount of debree discarded from the hive. You don,t see it when it gets dumped in the grass

6. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Ok, so the bees will not use it. But as to giving cappings back, were would be best to place these, close or away from the hive, so as to reduce the risk of robbing?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bees will scavenge wax from time to time... it appears to be mostly seasonal here with the fall seeing a good bit of activity as the bees prep the hive for winter. so you can place the wax almost anywhere that 'the girls' can fly. I myself reduce the bees wax back into some solid block form since it does have some uses for beekeepers <on occasions I have sealed liquid feeders with the stuff and now coat plastic based foundation.

8. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I will generally toss tiny bits of burr comb I scrape off during inspections back into the hive, but keep all my other beeswax.

9. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I will follow your suggestions, thank you.

10. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

the best way to feed back cappings, that I have found, is to make cardboard trays about 1 inch deep and fill with cappings. Then put on top of inner cover inside an empty super. My bees would chlean up about 2 lbs/day, leaving just clean wax flakes behind. If you leave the stuff in there more than 2 days or so, they will start to chew holes in the cardboard and build comb on top of the wax. I tried leaving cappings on the landing board, but that just attracted robbers and wasps.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have never seen bees reuse wax not being attached to a frame( uncapped frame of wax ), cappings will be worked over for residual honey, if chewed at all, to be removed as debris .
    Barry

12. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I had a cou0le fo pieces of comb fall onto the bottom board of my top bar hive during the last inspection. Manly from having to cut comb apart they had not put in the right place. It has taken them quite a while but finally a pice of comb about half the size of a baseball is gone. I have no idea if they reused it or hauled it out of the hive. Net effect for me is that even if they did use it it did not make enough of a difference to bother with giving them wax intentionally.

13. bamabww

bamabww Active Member