question on making syrup-how long is too long

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ziffa, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ziffa

ziffa New Member

So, since the weather here has been incredibly crazy and my2 baby hives seem to be light, i've starred feeding them. i've been making between 1:1 and 1.5:1. Tonite I was a batch and got distracted and it boiled for maybe 15-20 minutes. The syrup is still clear and not really that thick, but I know that if you overcook your syrup it can be bad for the bees.

So, how long is too long?

Love,
    Ziffa!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When it caramelizes, it's too long. As long as it's still clear liquid, it's still good.

3. ziffa

ziffa New Member

Thanks Iddee!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mind you I am not encouraging you or other to feed bad stuff to your bees here but.... in most case the prohibitions in regards to NOT feeding this or that is in regards to bees in the very northern most areas of the country where the bees have no opportunity to fly and therefore relieve themselves of any digestive impurities.

I have on rare occasion forgotten to cut off the gas on my small syrup making equipment and have never really noticed any effect from feeding this to my bees.

5. ziffa

ziffa New Member

Thanks Tecumseh!

I kind of thought it would be ok, but I always figure it is better to ask. I'm really worried about my 2 little hives. They are really flying on the warm days (I think orientation flights) and I don't think they have much stores left. Looks like I'll be feeding through February :(. I sure hope it stays mild.

I thought the cold of last winter was scary, but at least all you could do was sit and hope. This warm weather is much more challenging, trying to figure out when / how / what to feed. Whether or not to open them up and see what is happening or leave them be. THIS is scary!

Thanks for being here guys! I have a feeling I'll be back a lot in the next months.

love,
    ziffa

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When sunny and above 60, go in and look. It won't hurt anything. Maybe a little swelling, but it won't last long. :twisted: :lol:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ziffa writes:
    I sure hope it stays mild.

tecumseh:
    mild winter mean they consume more and earlier since they will begin serious brood rearing early and strong. nothing scary going on here you just need to collect some information (data) and construct some action plan based on that information. if you suspect the hives are light, heft the hive or simply tipping the two end gives you pretty good information. follow your instincts here if it fill light feed and if it feels heavy just leave it alone.

take two aspinins and you will fill better in the morning.