question/possible hive problem..

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by roadkillbobb, Sep 20, 2016.

1. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

Hello, so far this year the hive looks as its been doing good, I went away for about 5 days and when I checked the hive , I found a good amount of dead bees infront of the hive entrance and on the ground below the front entrance, I would say just shy of about a cup full of bees, this is the first time seeing any dead bees this year, is this normal for the end of summer season? or should I be looking for a cause, I have treated for mites a few days before going away with OA vapor and put white cardboard in the bottom for a mite count, I just pulled the cardboard and I found about 6 or 8 live hive beetles and it looks they actually ate the cardboard , it was chewed and formed into a roll and a dozen or so dead mites..should I be worried about the hive beetles? the bees are still avtive and collecting pollen..Thank you for any info in advanced..

2. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Imo, it sounds like a possibility of exposure to insecticides or other toxin. Have you notice odd behavior from the living i.e. shaking, disoriented, stumbling or falling over? Maybe an over dose from the OA if not measured properly. I feel SHB is always a concern but not your problem. I would always take precaution in controlling them as they could get out of hand quickly.

3. roadkillbobb

yes, I watched the entrance for a while and noticed some live ones flipping upside down onto their wings and staying that way, I pushed a few over with a stick and they just ended up on their back again..I cleaned up all the dead bees to see if any more dead ones build up outside the entrance...this was about noontime today...In the next few days ill unstack the boxes and take a closer look inside.. I just took a look with a flashlight to see inside the bottom entrance and no new dead bees outside,about 1015 pm, I did notice a few live ones on the ground not doing well but only a few and no new dead ones at the entrance, hopefully whatever they got into has worked its way out, ill keep an eye on it .....thank you for the response..

4. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Good luck, hope the worse has passed.

5. paint504

paint504 Member

Where are you located? Are they spraying for mosquitos in your area?

6. roadkillbobb

Im located in the middle of long island, they havent announced any spraying and in the past they have stayed away from my area for spraying, I also have a koi pond and never had any issues with fish
    dying in the past either, so I dont think it was that, I have sprayed around the house on the ground at the foundation for ants, but have done so for many years, last year mites killed off my hive and I have been spraying all summer around the house with no effect on the bees, they are far away in the yard, and I dont spray anything back in that direction nor on any plants that the bees may feed on..I checked this morning there are about 4 dead bees outside the entrance...

7. camero7

camero7 Member

You'll always have a few dead bees in front of the hive... particularly if it's a strong hive. Have you treated for varroa? Some virus issues act like that. I had 3 hive a few years ago that had hundreds of dead bees in front of the hive, almost blocked the entrance. Never identified the cause but 2 of the 3 survived the winter. Keep an eye on them.

8. roadkillbobb

yes I treated for varroa with OA vapor, didnt get much of a mite count, had some live hive beetles..I will treat in october with OA before the cold weather sets in...the hive has built up very well this year, much better than last year when varroa killed them off....they are actively building comb and filling with honey, I take that as a good sign..I will open up the hive one more time in the next week to take a peek ,and report if anything looks wrong.. thank you for the reply..

9. roadkillbobb

update, I opened up the hive today, no more dead bees for the last few days, whew...and only saw 1 hive beetle while poking around inside, the lowers are real heavy with honey, I gota estimate at least 50 to 60 lbs and the upper is about 30 to 40 lbs...and they are still building comb...so im hoping the dead bees from before was just end of season house cleaning as the night temps have cooled off and not something systemically wrong inside the hive..ill be a happy camper if most make it through the winter and next spring when it warms up I would like to split the hive and make 2 hives...any hints to make that go smooth would be welcome...:smile:

10. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

This spring I literally just separated the 2 deeps and let 1 make there own queen. I just made sure that both hives had all they needed to do so ( fresh eggs up to 3 days old, drones and drone cells) since I could not find the queen and it went well. I would maybe consider buying a queen instead of having them make there own since they will be ahead of the game a good month or so.

11. camero7

camero7 Member

Here's some really good info on splitting hives. Allen is a retired commercial beekeeper with years of experience. Ran over 1,000 hives in the day. Spend some time on his web site, you'll learn a lot.

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/spring/splits.htm

12. roadkillbobb

Thank you for the info, and I will read through that web sight, I have all winter to research and get ready to split, It will also depend how they make it through the winter..