Question???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Nov 16, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I mentioned in the top bar hive post what I found when I opened it up this morning.This brings on another question.
    I just came from the hive and there is a buzzing sound coming from it that you can hear four feet away. I have never noticed this before and am wondering if it because of what I did in there this morning.
    It is around 85 degrees here and I am hoping they are ventilating the hive. It's got me worried as I have never noticed it before. I'm really hard of hearing( another story) and if I can hear it four feet away, I'm sure that someone else can hear it farther than that.
    Thanks, Robert

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Hmm you sure the queen is alive? my all american hive you can hear 8 feet away cause the queens gone.

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

We are talking two different TBH's.
    The one that is humming loud is my four footer which I have not done anything with. The three footer is the one that I combined with a lang. They went in with no problem.
    Now you have me worried. When I was doing a cut/crop on Monday, after I was through, I found a ball of bees with a dead queen under them, which I assumed was from the hive that I did the cut/crop on.
    I bought a queen and installed her yesterday in the lang hive.
    Maybe I screwed up??
    If she has not be released, maybe I could pull her and put her in the big TBH. There is no way I could find the queen in this hive. There are eight bars and all are covered with bees, with several more hundred on the sides of this hive.
    Duh, I will look for the queen in the lang, and if found, will remove the caged queen and install her in the TBH.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

8 bars is what, 10 inches? That leaves 38 inches empty. Remove enough bars to lay a queen excluder on and start brushing the bees off onto the excluder. They will go down into the back of the tbh and return to the comb when it is put back.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

don't ya' just love iddee straight to the task ways???

sound queenless... a group of bees does somewhat roar if they are queenless. after a day or so the beginning of queen cells is proof positive that there is no queen.

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Yes, you can tell he has been doing this a while.
    I do have an excluder that will work, but not today. I do not think I want to open any hive with what we have moving in from the gulf. Looks like it will have to wait until tomorrow.
    If they are queenless, I think I will let them raise the next one. There is plenty of brood on the frames and they are still bringing in pollen.
    I did pop the top on the lang, as there are only five frames, and there is no queen in it, except for the one that I placed in there in a cage.
    So, my luck with queens still is bad. One that I wanted to get rid of, flew away, two that I had no problem with are gone.