Questions for those that do cutouts

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Iddee, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My curiosity is getting the best of me. I would like to get some feedback on two items.

When you do cutouts, are the combs running east to west, or north to south?
    Also, is the entrance on the east, west, north, or south side?

Please take note of these two items in your next few cutouts and post here. I want to know if there is a pattern to it.

Thanks

2. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

Cutout in Clemmons:
    Enterance: east side of eaves
    Comb Orientation: North West to south east

Reidsville cutout:
    Enterance: North side of eaves
    comb: North East and South West

I am pretty sure the comb orientation runs perpendicular to the enterance. This is done to reduce drafts freeflowing between the combs....(if I remember correctly)

3. onehorse

onehorse New Member

I know that you probably don't want this here, as you aren't looking for discussion and I am lousy at N - S/E - W type stuff. But our last cut out, the comb was parallel to the opening, which surprised me, as I was told that they would build comb facing the morning and this wasn't facing the morning sun either, looked like a Langsroth moved to a column.

But anyway, knowing how good my sense of direction is, I believe the opening was NorthEast and the comb was built NorthEast to SouthWest.

4. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

entrance east. comb north-south on the last 3 I did. I have 2 more to do this next few weeks I'll try to remember. I know one is a north entrance not seen the other yet.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Barn cut out last year in Lake City (near Erie) PA:

Face of wall, and therefore the entrance, was facing South.
    Inside, combs ran at a diagonal between inner and outer walls, such that they were running east-southeast to west-northwest.

The colony I removed from abandoned boxes, where they had filled an empty hive body with their comb:
    Entrance: North side, on NE corner. (where the rotten corner was...)
    Combs: Running Northeast-Southwest (diagonal across box starting from entrance corner to opposite corner)