Questions on Fumagilin use

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by brendantm130, Apr 5, 2012.

1. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I bought a jar of Fumagilin, but it didn't really have directions on it. What do people do? I heard about syrup feeding and also misting the frames. What are the ratios for these?

I think I have a hive that is infected, lots of spotting, dwindling population.

Thanks

Brendan

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I teaspoon to 1 gallon of sugar syrup if memory serves me correctly. Mix up your sugar syrup and allow it to cool so that it is warm (not hot). Put a teaspoon of Fumadil into a small glass of tepid (lukewarm) water and stir to get it to disolve properly, and then add it to your sugar syrup and stir it completely in.
    You can either feed it as you regularily would or I suppose you could mist your bees, (but that is a lot of syrup to mist a hive with). Maybe a combination, mist them slightly to get them started and then feed the rest? If feeding you want them to take it as quickly as they can as the fumadil is only good for so long in syrup form (a week at best perhaps?)

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks alot Greg, i had to put my screen on the floor and lay down to read the instructions.:lol: Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Answers are a dollar, but dumb looks are free! :confused:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have read of people misting (I assume it takes several applications) and if the bees are seriously infected this sounds like a good approach (the bees are weak and feel starve and this is why nosema can produce some odd behavior in honeybees). imho the method of delivering the stuff is crucial* (anything that doesn't allow the drowning of large number of bees). I mix it pretty much like Perry describes but I just heat up a bit of syrup and not water... that detail should make no difference.

*a quart jar hole (essentially a boardman style feeder) built into my migratory lids or freezer baggies in a shallow shell is what I normally use. you kind of want for the bees to take this up fast (the stuff decompose quickly) so feeder volume should be somewhat determined by the live bee population of the hive.

8. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be feeding today.