quick question about painting equipment

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by T.J., Mar 10, 2012.

1. T.J.

T.J. New Member

this may be a dumb newbie question but here goes....how much of the bottom board needs to be painted?

i have my boxes,top outer telescoping cover,and stands painted (only on the outside)and i am about to start on the bottom boards.so is it like the other eqipment and only paint what is outside or you paint the whole thing - even the bottom on the inside?

a quick reply would be appreciated today is a sunny day...good day to finish my painting :grin:

thanks,
    T.J.

2. T.J.

T.J. New Member

sorry about jumping the gun with the question......i should have searched first as there is a post that covers my question.sorry about that.

T.J.

3. Jim 134

Jim 134 New Member

On the bottom board you can pait at all . I paint about 3" to 4" on the floor to the inside of the opening
    Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so inquiring minds just HAVE to know! how much of the bottom board should be painted? if your bottom boards are reverseable do you paint both sides? I just got to know?

you are to be applauded for using the search device on this web site. I myself often forget to use this very handy bit of software.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The entire bottom board lasts longer painted. The bottom board is the most exposed part of the hive to dampness, fungus, decay, decomposing debris from the hive and all manner of destructive matter.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

IMO-For us who only have a few hives it is worth the money to prime with Zinsser 123. Bonds well and mold and mildew resistant. I used it on my shed 5 years ago and no issues with paint scaling or mold.

7. T.J.

T.J. New Member

after reading the old thread about painting the bottom board.....i went ahead and painted the whole thing (except the screens on the ones that have them :D )
    1 coat of kilz primer & 2 coats of paint.

if i messed up by doing that....it's not the first mistake i have made & i know it wont be the last :D

8. Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens New Member

Many people paint/coat/stain/treat their entire bottom boards. For me, I don't actually use traditional bottom boards, any more, just Screened Bottom Board boxes (no actual entrance down there - all my entrances are above the first super, or higher), with Slatted Rack inserts -->
    [​IMG]

I just paint most of them where any wood would meet the elements, but not too much where the bees would contact the paint. Some I haven't painted, just to see how they do without the protection.​

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok this may be another newbie dumb question.. I was reading that a "bee Suit" should be white because bee's dont wat to land on white or lite colors..if that is so then why do most paint the hives white? ..

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Temperature control, and tradition. I started out painting mine white 'cause thats all I's ever seen, then I got to know some of the folks here and have seen all sorts of colors/combinations. The cheapest way is to go to your local home center (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) and get a gallon of good quality exterior latex from the "oops" shelf.
    As far as bee suits being white/light color-in nature the bees worst enemy is a bear. Try opening your hive with your bee suit on, then come back later wearing a brown angora sweater-you'll see what I'm talking about. The bees are genetically imprinted to defend from the bear.

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

That was the best way to put it... even a meathead like me understood it... Thank you..lol .. thank god they are not at the north pole... polor bear's ...lol

As far as hive color... anything lite or could some dark colors be used too?

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Lighter colors are used when the summer is hot, it's easier for the bees to keep cool during hot weather. Dark colors absorb the suns rays and heat up more.
    All my boxes are white, but when the white paint is gone, I'm going to the oops rack. I live in north central Ohio, and we do get some cold winters (this last one the exception) and I wrap mine in tar paper during the winter. Omie, one of the most famous members of our forum family lives in the Hudson Valley region of NY state and uses magic green paint (check out her older posts.):lol:

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I was thinking NY Giants Blue and Red...lol

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

That would work unless your bees are fans of another team :lol:

15. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

NOT MY BEE'S ...lol

16. T.J.

T.J. New Member

the "girls" might surprise you.......they could be Jets fans :rolling:

17. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

T.J.
    I just went back and re-read your first post in this thread, particularly the first sentence. A favorite saying of mine (actually I stole it many years ago when I was in the Army) is "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." Everyone here on the forum would much rather answer a question than have someone barge ahead and screw something up through ignorance. So, "Ask away"

18. T.J.

T.J. New Member

gunsmith,
    thanks.:thumbsup: i'm shure i will have alot of questions to bug y'all with.i'll just use the search feature first.